Hydra Issue In 5 Gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fierce Betta, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Fierce Betta

Fierce BettaNew MemberMember

Hello everyone,

Two Saturdays ago I noticed a few hydras I. My tank and took immediate action. Which consisted of:

1) Siphoning as much as possible and removing any gravel I could find on them.

2) Taking out the plants (live ones) which probably were what introduced them into my tank. I placed them in different containers with alum (to remove some algae). Those are under observation.

3) Placed my betta in temporary carrier tank. He was hiding away from them.

4) I did bleach the only ornament I had in the 1/10 solution. But, I'll probably just purchase another one.

5) Reduced the amount of water in the tank to less than 50%, removed the light source and ceased putting any in the tank.

I have searched the forums and around the web and would prefer to use chemicals as a last resort. Ideally, I would like to treat this with the hearing method to 104 C. However, I haven't found a method to accomplish this. So if there is one, I would much appreciate it.

That said, if necessary I'll use chemicals. While I can't find Flubendazole, I have found Fenbendazole and am aware the dosing method is different. What is the prescribed water change amounts and frequency? I did read a journal on the matter but still am not too sure.

Also my tank size is 5 gal, with a filter, a heater that keeps him toasty at around 80 C., 25% water changes once every 2 weeks with a siphon. Light source is LED.

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore, sorry your first post is about a problem, hope our members can help you today

3. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

If it's only 5 gallons I think there's a good chance it will fit in your oven.

I see you've got the rare extremophile Betta, known for living in geothermal pools and volcanic vents?

4. OP
    OP
    Fierce Betta

Fierce BettaNew MemberMember

Thank you! I hope the problem can get sorted out soon. My betta isn't too happy in his back-up tank.

Well I purchased him in HI where the average room temp (no AC) was between 75-80 F. Just relocated to a state where it's nowhere near that temp due to AC and climate (usually 70 C). So he's used to and prefers it to be toasty.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice