Hydra emergency

faywayway

Okay, so today I just added 5 new dwarf neocaridina shrimp to my 10 gallon tank. The other residents in there are amano shrimp and nerite snails. I noticed I had a hydra problem a couple days ago while my shrimp were being shipped, which I'm very sure was caused by the new plants I put in there. I've been reading about different ways to get rid of these things because I've already watched one of the female dwarf shrimp get stung and dart away TWICE and it's very upsetting, and I've been hoping they would be able to start a small colony. Since my tank is so densely planted, the high temperature option is out. I have shrimp AND snails so I cannot use any medication or dewormer that will stay in the tank and kill my snails. Also because of the shrimp, using gouramis or mollies are out as I don't want them to eat my shrimp, they were expensive and I want to keep them all alive. I am planning on buying ember tetras so could they maybe eat some of the hydras? I think I read that rasboras can so would ember tetras possibly? I've also heard pond snails will eat them but I don't know if they will actively seek them out to eat and the last thing I need is a pest snail outbreak in this tank, I've dealt with so many challenges with this tank already. Would an option be water changes to starve them out? I haven't fed my shrimp or snails anything so overfeeding isn't the cause of the outbreak, but I've seen lots of copepods and other tiny inverts in my tank so maybe if I get more of them out through water changes the hydras will start to die off? I was also wondering that if I put my nerites around the hydras will they eat them? If pond snails do I feel like nerite snails maybe could? I don't know I'm just upset and desperate at this point. I'm a student in college so I would rather not pay a huge amount of money on anything and I'm already stressed with school work as it is so this whole problem is not helping anything. However I could invest in a 5 gallon tank for quarantining if I have to. If anyone has some good ideas or tips I would greatly appreciate it.

WilburTheGoldfish

Well unless it is brackish the amono shrimp won't breed, But yeah Quarantine is the best option and then bombing it with hydrogen peroxide

Upvote 0

faywayway

Well unless it is brackish the amono shrimp won't breed, But yeah Quarantine is the best option and then bombing it with hydrogen peroxide
Oh I meant the dwarf shrimp breeding, but how would I use that method? Is it safe for plants and would I be able to add the shrimp and snails back at some point?

Upvote 0

WilburTheGoldfish

Yeah But only if you take every animal out, If you miss a snail then... well enjoy the empty shell research it more on google.

Upvote 0

BlackOsprey

The best way for me was nuking the things with chemicals. I tried having all sorts of things eat them to no effect. I know you already ruled the option out, but hear me out.

Fenbenzadole works wonders, and is shrimp safe when dosed correctly. I know you have snails, and so did I, so remove as many as you can before the treatment. They can last for a pretty long time just sitting in a bucket of water. A heavily planted tank usually can just eat up any of the pollution caused by decaying stragglers.

The chemical tends to linger in a tank for a long time, so running activated carbon in your filter will remove it.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I use Fenbenzadole as part of my routine de worming program. It’s definitely shrimp and fry safe and as far as I can tell does nothing to assassin snails or pest/ pond/ bladder snails.
In a newly set up shrimp tank and an established fry tank it kills hydra in under one hour.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
faywayway
  • Question
Replies
Views
MercuryTheBlueBetta
  • Question
Replies
Views