Hydra and shrimp problem please help

CGal

Hi i have hydra and many other tiny pests in my shrimp tank and i have a dog wormer here called fidos all wormer tablets they have 50mg of praziquantel and 500mg of fenbendazole wondering if anyone knows if this would be safe to use? I've heard of each being used separately but I'm not sure if this mix or brand is safe thank you

Blacksheep1

When you say other tiny pests what do you mean ? Do you have copepods etc or planaria ?

as for your on hand med , I wouldn’t like to say if you should or could use but my worry would be how to accurately measure dosage ? No planaria I believe works well and if you do have any planaria it’ll take care of that too.

Someone on here recently had success by introducing Spixxi snails to eat the hydra but I’m not sure on the severity of your infestation or if you’d be open to snails.

Can you add some photos of the critters you have to identify ? :)

CGal

When you say other tiny pests what do you mean ? Do you have copepods etc or planaria ?

as for your on hand med , I wouldn’t like to say if you should or could use but my worry would be how to accurately measure dosage ? No planaria I believe works well and if you do have any planaria it’ll take care of that too.

Someone on here recently had success by introducing Spixxi snails to eat the hydra but I’m not sure on the severity of your infestation or if you’d be open to snails.

Can you add some photos of the critters you have to identify ? :)
Lots of little white dots flicking around no more idea what they as they are too small. There are also white worms that i see on the glass and plants but the are also too small for me to tell if they are planaria or not. Thank you for the info i will see if i can find some no planaria. It so strange seeing all these things I've alway had fish and nwver had anything like these in the tanks.
Lots of little white dots flicking around no more idea what they as they are too small. There are also white worms that i see on the glass and plants but the are also too small for me to tell if they are planaria or not. Thank you for the info i will see if i can find some no planaria. It so strange seeing all these things I've alway had fish and nwver had anything like these in the tanks.
Also already have random bladder and ramshorns that must of hitch hiked on the plant not sure if i could find spixxi. My camera won't pick up the critter either unfortunately i tried to see them better with it

smee82

Sounds like the unknow spots are copepods and or daphnia and the worms a detritus worms. Personally I had a not too hard a time removing hydra with a pair of tweezers, Just removing whatever I could see over a week. But dog dewormer is supposed to be safe.

Blacksheep1

Maybe seed shrimp or copepods. The worms could be detritus worms or planaria , or both. Detritus worms are perfectly safe , planaria are not to shrimp.

the problem with manual removal is much like an earth worm, you break it , you double it. Certain fish will eat them but I don’t know if you’re open to that or if it’s option.

Dog wormers have been used but if you over dose it you risk killing everything. That’s not something I can help with dosage wise. richiep always has a lot of knowledge on this front.

richiep

Yes this can be used at a dosage of 0.1grams for every 10gallons, make sure all snails you want to keep are taken out and kept out for a month or two

CGal

Sounds like the unknow spots are copepods and or daphnia and the worms a detritus worms. Personally I had a not too hard a time removing hydra with a pair of tweezers, Just removing whatever I could see over a week. But dog dewormer is supposed to be safe.
Thank you
T
Maybe seed shrimp or copepods. The worms could be detritus worms or planaria , or both. Detritus worms are perfectly safe , planaria are not to shrimp.

the problem with manual removal is much like an earth worm, you break it , you double it. Certain fish will eat them but I don’t know if you’re open to that or if it’s option.

Dog wormers have been used but if you over dose it you risk killing everything. That’s not something I can help with dosage wise. richiep always has a lot of knowledge on this front.
Thank you
Yes this can be used at a dosage of 0.1grams for every 10gallons, make sure all snails you want to keep are taken out and kept out for a month or two
Thank you so much

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Karon
Replies
Views
Loachland
  • Question
Replies
Views
jeng85