Hydra and Baby Shrimp - What Should I Do?

Loachland

Hi, everybody!

A few months ago, I set up a rili shrimp tank, and these past couple of weeks I've been delighted to see several babies swimming around the tank. They really seem to be doing well and until yesterday, it was smooth sailing. However, last night, I noticed a sizable infestation of hydra. They're on the glass, the sponge filter, the driftwood, the botanicals, the live plants: they've pretty much got the shrimp surrounded. The adults appear able to cope just fine, but I worry the babies could be severely harmed.

In my fish tanks, I've defeated hydra by limiting the copepod populations and keeping the tank clean, but with no fish to eat the copepods and baby shrimp currently in the tank, I fear just waiting for a population crash isn't going to work. I've tried getting access to snails as a biological control, but so far haven't found any way to get a spixi. As for Planaria Zero and Panacur, I worry that even if they are safe for baby shrimp - I haven't really heard any accounts on whether this is the case or not - the resulting ammonia spike from all the copepods and detritus worms might do a serious number on the babies, and I've heard several accounts of mass dieoffs months after using fenbendazole due to how long the meds linger in the setup. Methods like heat and scrubbing rely on me somehow getting the babies out, which seems implausible.

Does anyone have any advice? I really want to keep the babies alive, but I'm afraid rushing into a solution too fast might do more harm than the hydra themselves are going to. If anyone has experience managing hydra without losing babies, I'd love to hear it!

richiep

Limiting a copeapod population is not going to get rid of hydra, you've contaminated your shrimp tank from your fish tank by the sounds of it, there is only one way to defeat hydra without harming shrimp and that's with Planaria zero its been purpose made for this, but now you must treat all your tanks or it will come back, Planaria zero will kill hydra in 24 hrs but you must do the full treatment,
If you don't go down this road you will loose all your babies and when the hydra get bigger they will kill adult shrimp,
I'll stay around this post to guide you if needed and make sure you get rid of them

Upvote 0

Loachland

Sounds good, I will try to order some No-Planaria today and do a good cleaning while I wait for it to arrive. Thank you for the advice!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ROFEA
  • Question
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Hydra problem