Hydor Canister 350 Or 450?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by sylviepld, Apr 13, 2017.

1. sylviepld

sylviepld Valued Member Member

I am setting up a 75 gallon aquarium. I know that I want to buy a Hydor Canister filter but I don't know if I should get the 350 or 450. The 350 is rated for 60-100 gallons and the 450 is rated for 75-125 gallons. I'm wondering which would be better. Is the 450 overkill? Obviously the 350 would save me money but I'm wondering if it would be sufficient for my tank. My tank will be moderately planted with good flow (powerhead) and I plan to have the following fish in my tank:
    school of about 20 bloodfin tetras
    school of about 15 harlequin rasboras
    5 cory cats
    3 or 4 siamese algae eaters

2. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

I would do the 450. But that's just me. I am a firm believer in over filtration. For example my 33 gallon(Long) I have a FX-4 and a Seachem Tidal 55 and I don't have any current problems and my fish and plants all seem happy and my water parameters are near perfect.

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Dang, thats a 60$ price jump according to Amazon, BUT I agree, I would go bigger, you will be happy that you did later.

On my 40gal community I went from a AC50, to a Fluval 306
    On my 75gal Mbuna I went from a single Marineland 360, to two of them, to an FX4...

See a pattern? :p Go big from the start ;)

4. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

Yup and that way you don't have to spend More money later on. Hey M, don't you wish there was someone who told us to get the biggest filter we could get from the start. I would have saved a ton of money!

5. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

LOL yep, however here I am looking at setting up a discus tank (55gal) and thinking between a Fluval 406 or FX4... however I am pretty positive I could shove more bio into a 406 than an FX4 so I have my reasons :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice