Hydor 50 Watt Heater Set To 73, But Aquarium Stays At 82

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by clinty76, Aug 7, 2017.

1. clinty76

clinty76 Valued Member Member

I set up a new 10 gallon tank and am doing a fishless cycle and letting some of my plants grow. I'm trying to get the temp dialed in, but this heater is just killing me. It's been keeping the aquarium around 82 and I've turned it down incrementally over the past few days, but it seems to just stay on.

Do you think the thermostat is broken. Should I just give up on it and return it? Any recommendations on a better unit?

2. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

It's possibor the thermostat is broken if the temperature is not coming down I have a 100 watt on my 20 with no issues.

I would say if you can return it for a bew one or a differrnt brand altogether.

I have an eheim jager that I love on my other tank.

Hope that helps :)

3. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Unplug the heater and see what it reads in a few hours.

If there really is a difference of almost 10 degrees between what it's set for and what it keeps the water at, that's more than an acceptable error, and it should be returned/replaced.

4. OP
    OP
    clinty76

I unplugged it. Luckily, it's an empty tank with some plants.

5. OP
    OP
    clinty76

So, I had ordered two of these heaters because I was going to use another one for another aquarium. After I tried the first one and it wouldn't work I tried the second one and the same thing is happening. I have it set to 78 and its been in there for about 12 hours and the temp is already 82. Does the placement matter. I have it about 8-10 inches from my HOB intake. I just can't understand what's going on.

6. Bettanewb

I know with my hydor I have it set quite a bit lower then the actual temperature that I'm trying to achieve.

Have you tried turning it down to see if the temperature comes down?

7. Awaken_Riceball_

Awaken_Riceball_ Valued Member Member

I have a 25W Hydor for my 2.5 Gallon Betta aquarium doing the same. I have the temperature set to 71 so I can have the temperature between 78 ~ 79 degrees. I will eventually get a Cobalt Neo-Therm heater.

Also, look into the Aqueon Pro Heater. I have it in my 60 Gallon and 29 Gallon aquarium, and it is working great! Definitely one of the best heaters on the market and surprisingly made by Aqueon. I will spare the details, but what you set the temperature, it keeps within a -/+ 1 degrees range.

8. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

Whats your tank temperature with no heater running?

9. OP
    OP
    clinty76

I now have it set to 76 and it looks like the water's starting to get cooler. We'll see where it ends up.

It's right around 76 - 77 without the heater.

10. OP
    OP
    clinty76

I finally was able to get the temp in the tank to hold at 80, but only with the Hydor set at 72. Should I trust it to keep it the temp constant or should I just find another heater that isn't so far off with the settings?

11. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

In my opinion you'll be able to trust the heater. If it holds at one temperature it's likely just the scale that's off. It'll be annoying, but you can re-mark the scale, assuming you can't remove and reattach it. That's just an opinion, though.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  12. Bettanewb

Like I said mine is not accurate either but it keeps the temperature stable with no fluctuations.

I agree I think it will be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice