Hybrid terrarium/aquarium set up advice?

• Thread starter MrBryan723
  • Start date

MrBryan723

Well Known
Tldr: what can i put in a walstad tank that i never ever have to feed again?

So I'm thinking about turning a 29g tank into a side by side airtight terrarium/aquarium. The water would be about 1/3 of the tank, half full or just under. I'll have some evaporation/condensation issues that i can hopefully deal with using a highly conductive metal over the water part to condense and let it "rain" so the soil doesn't become too saturated. I have no idea if this will work, but it sounds good in theory.
What would be some good choices for both aquatic and terrestrial plants for this? I can do amphibias plants as well, but need some species diversity. Same with animals. I would like to attempt a shrimp species like ghost shrimp, but they may be a little large. I will definitely have copepods of sorts and possibly even bladder snails. For the terrestrial part i was thinking springtails and wood louse, and some kind of predator. Not a spider species due to webbing, but maybe a small scorpion or centipede species? Perhapse a predatory insect?
Most of these species I know can do well long term in a sealed environment, the shrimp are questionable. I want to be as biodiverse as possible as I'm sure some species won't survive indefinitely.
Since i won't be able to moniter a cycle i will be adding mature substrate from one of my aquariums along with whatever life comes along with it.

smee82

Probably wild type neo shrimp would be the safest bet.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
In fact that's a Paludarium I think.
Problem with several of the mentioned insects is that those live in quite dry environments (scorpions for instance).
Amphybians jump more in mind I'd say.
poison dart frogs ???

smee82

DoubleDutch said:
In fact that's a Paludarium I think.
Problem with several of the mentioned insects is that those live in quite dry environments (scorpions for instance).
Amphybians jump more in mind I'd say.
poison dart frogs ???
I dont think poison dart frogs are very good swimmers but im not 100% sure.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Not a paludarium, but close. It'll be side by side instead of top and bottom. It'll also be sealed so no "higher" species, as I'm more than positive none would survive long term, so no dart frogs or fish etc. I'm hoping the terrarium side would remain mostly dry outside of high humidity and i know this limits my species selection which is why im asking about options. I like the neo idea more than ghost shrimp due to their size, but the ghosts are like $0.15 compared to like $3 each and I'm still pretty skeptical over survivability. I guess you could call it a mix between a paludarium and a terrium in a bottle?? If that makes sense.

Top Bottom