Hybrid Shrimp Help

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi Everyone,
A while back, I made the foolish mistake of adding yellow shrimp to my 10-gallon tank when I thought all of the Blue Rili's had died off. HOWEVER, there was apparently one blue rili surviving in the tank and she bred with one of the yellows that got added.
NOW, I have about 37 (I counted) hybrids. I let them grow up but now I'm not sure what to do with them.
At the moment, they're a brownish color (a few have a light blue tint, most do not) and about 90% of them have a stripe going down their backs (that they got from the yellow).

Yesterday, I added blue shrimp to the tank to try and get more blue in the line but it looks like the blue rili mom bred with one of her offspring already. And I already have two other berried hybrid babies.

Is trying to get them to be blue a lost cause? Is there anyway I can get blue back in the line? Should I just let them keep doing their thing? Get a fish that eats shrimp? I don't want to give them to anyone because I don't want to tarnish any breeding genetics for others but I'm about to have 120+ shrimp in my tiny 5-gallon tank that I moved them all to.

I have a 30-gallon with TONs of blues and my 10 gallon has 5 yellows.

Any advice/opinions is appreciated. Just don't yell at me for being an idiot (I'm doing that enough to myself).

CardShark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think trying to get the blue back in your line is just going to result in lots of frustration.

I would just get rid of them if the colors are a problem for you; either sell them cheap or give them away.

I don't think giving them to someone is a problem as long as you tell them exactly what they are getting.
Lots of people just want shrimp as a cleanup crew and don't necessarily care about color or are putting them in a community tank where the mortality rate is high.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree 100% with CardShark on this, you could keep that tank as your cull tank for any low grade from your blues and yellows, you will have about 30% cull from each batch if you want to keep your strain strong,

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, thank you both!
I'll see how it goes. Worst case, I'll resort to trying to give them away. I saw a third pregnant shrimp in their last night though so I might have to do something sooner rather than later. How many are okay to keep in a 5-gallon? Again, I have 37 in there at the moment. I only ever see about 3 or 4 at a time.

CardShark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LHanna61 said:
Okay, thank you both!
I'll see how it goes. Worst case, I'll resort to trying to give them away. I saw a third pregnant shrimp in their last night though so I might have to do something sooner rather than later. How many are okay to keep in a 5-gallon? Again, I have 37 in there at the moment. I only ever see about 3 or 4 at a time.
Shrimp have very little bioload so it's really hard to overstock them unless you get ridiculous.

I have well over 100 in a planted 10 gallon tank with 2 sponge filters and they thrive.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive got 100s in a 10 gallon just like CardShark and this is my best breeding tank with one double sponge
As it stands hanna I think you've plenty of time to source an outlet

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom