hybrid poll

?

Which fish are more interesting?

1. hybrid (unknown possibilities)

44.4%
  2. normal (you know what you'll get)

55.6%
  1. fletch Member Member

Bit controversial but interesting to know. Post your comments on whether you think its right or wrong or whatever

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I generally don't like hybrid fish, but do like the blood parrots and my hubby would love a flowerhorn. :)

3. lovemyfroggies Initiate Member

There are alot of opinions on this topic. I have two different opinions. One is that I'm totallly against how these fish came about but at the same token they were made and they also deserve a home and to be cared for. I happen to buy a jellybean fish. I knew exactly what I was buying. I didn't buy it because of it's color. I bought him because he had personality and he really caught my eye. I really don't feel I was condoning the people that created him but that I was providing a loving home for him especially what he endured. He has his own twenty gallon tank that I disigned that sits right next to my computer desk. Inside his tank he has a huge castel with plants surrounding it. He prefers to live alone. There is only one gold algae eater with him which I know also have a reputition. I am always entertained by him. I consider him very smart, outgoing and beautiful. Evan when I feed him he makes me laugh. I give him a round pellet and he bounces around with it and takes it behind his castle to finish it off.
    He may be created differently but look at all the purebred dogs and cats out there which would also be considered hybrid and maybe some of the wrongefully test tube children. No one has a right to pass judgements on poor innocent fish. I love my baby jelly fish who is a intellegent hybrid.

4. mumzy50 Initiate Member

Hybrid

I dont think its right,We need to keep the fish true to the breed.If people are going to cross their fish,how are you going to know what your buying or what you will end up with when you breed them,or will we in the end lose the.pure lines..

5. Allie Fishlore VIP Member

No hybrids for me either. For fish I like to keep it as natural as possible. So I'd make sure we enough males and females of each species so that no hybridization occurs. If there any single fishies they usually get sold or traded.

6. Angela_96 Fishlore VIP Member

Im w/ "lovemyfroggies" on the subject.. I am not planning to breed fish to make hybrids by any extent.. However I do own 2 hybrid cichlids.. I fell in love w/ the coloration and the fact yes they were at the fish store and did need homes (and no they were not tattoed fish, dyed, etc) I bought them. I have an OB Peacock, and a Sunburst Peacock.... My Sunburst personality I actually feel sorry for the little guy its scared of anything but me coming to the tank its actually kept in a tank w/ a blue peacock its size and a small pleco alone... my OB acts just like a Mbuna.. (it takes the Mbuna part of its hybrid genes)... so I do agree they are unpredictable...

7. FalconRaptor Initiate Member

I simply love my Parrot since day one. He is so adorable, so enjoyable to look at. He has a very strong and smart personality and currently he is a GOOD policeman in my tank of Cichlids. It's so unfair to say, that hybrids should be boycotted or whatever- hey, just enjoy your hobby! By the way his best friend- female flowerhorn. They have tried hard to have babies, but obviously -no success. They fight other fish together as a team, but never kill. They eat and even fight each other mouth to mouth from time to time- and then make piece and swim around together again. Long time ago Parrot had something against another cichlid, much smaller and chased it all over the tank. Somehow he killed it, it died. Listen, I'm not kidding, I have never seen it in my life- he was so upset he did it! He was almost crying- seriously! I bought the very next day an identical one- he never even touched it ever.
    Listen, he is a good buddy, don't say bad things about my Parrot! He might not be the one for you, but if you have one- you will not let him go. :;banaman

8. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not voting because I'm kind of in-between.
    It depends on what kind of hybrid we're talking about. There are some fish that will cross-breed if circumstances are just right (or just wrong). It wasn't very difficult for the Tiger Musky to be bred, for example, as Muskies and Northern Pike are really, really closely related to begin with.
    On the other hand, there are cases where two animals that are too far apart to really be viable have been forcibly cross-bred. The amount of harm that can come about to the results before the experiment works is not something I want to be responsible for supporting.

9. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

No hybrids for me...It ticks me off to see what they have done to purebred dogs by crossing 2 breeds...I say leave the beautiful fish alone!

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

omg have u seen the cost of puggles and chaweenies now a days? more than purebreds!

11. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I actually think Puggles are cute...I'd never buy one but they are cute...And Chihuahuas should NEVER be crossed they are a handful just the way they are! I know a gal who crosses her Chis with poodles..."Choodles" YUCK!!!!!

There is a lid to fit every pot just like there are buyers for every rare cross...I say go to the pound and adopt if you want a mutt!

OK, I'm done now...I'll go back in my corner lol

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

This was a really strange poll. The poll asks which is more interesting (1) If you know whats mixed together or (2) you don't know whats mixed together.
    Then the first post the author asks if you think Hybrids are right or wrong.
    Really strange old thread :)
    Carol

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;shive noticed theres ALOT of strange threads and polls lately...I just have another :;toast and chalk it up to boredom I guess LOL

14. Lorene Initiate Member

Personally I love blood parrots! I dont hold any judgements on breeders, after all, people are all human beings, and we come from various parts of the world, different colors, sizes, and shapes, so whats wrong with someone from china marrying and having children with someone from canada? I am not saying I am judging those who are against it, I am just throwing an opinion out there. I embrace diversity in all living things.

15. PepsiGirl71 Member Member

I didn't vote but I also have two Blood Parrot Cichlids. I am so impressed with their intelligence. When we have company, the fish will hide under their rock cave. You can see them peeking out until they get brave enough to fully come out and check out who is here. They also like the cats. How do I know? They are so calm, and curious. When the cats put a paw on the outside of the tank the fish will kiss the paw and watch the cats until they leave or fall asleep by their tank. It is so cute to watch. When I told my husband this he thought I was just being silly. But now he pays attention and gets a big kick out of it!

16. chicken-tuna Initiate Member

hybrids arent all that bad, the biggest hybrid out there are the flowerhorns and breeders like to breed them for there traits. there are some beautiful FH out there and any fish lover would apretiate them just like oscars they were bred to bring out the best traits out of them but at the same time i feel that the real deal is more valuable then hybrids.

17. fishpie Member Member

hybrids are cool they have like all these weird mutant fish

18. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Love my Bloody Parrots.

19. CWO4GUNNER Well Known Member Member

Its sort of a moot question like deciding between which taste better natural oven roasted meats or barbecued. I would never chose between the two because they each serve a completely different taste.

20. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I love my convict hybrid. I'm glad that it was me who took her home and that she's spoiled rotten.