Hybrid Molky and Guppy

1. jdmLuzon

jdmLuzon Valued Member Member

I have a female Molly in the male guppy I put in a 10 gallon tank....now they have Fry and I don't know what to do. help please!!

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. p

plecodragon Well Known Member Member

How new are your fish? If it has only been 6months or less, then it is possible that your female molly came pregnant. Most livebearer females bought in LFS's are pregnant as they are usually housed with males. Females can store sperm for up to 6 months and keep having fry without a male.

Do you want to save the fry if so you may want to separate the fry from the mom and dad as they can be seen as snacks. You can buy either a net breeder or get one of those floating plastic ones. Feed the fry either fry food or crushed/powdered flake or pellet food.

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

If you want to keep them. Seperate the mom and dad to different tank or seperate the fry to another tank. You can just feed them flake food but has to be crushed real fine for they will be able to eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Mattfinn

Mattfinn Valued Member Member

Jus learnt this trick...crush the flake or brine shrimp through a net or very fine sieve right above the fry and yes try and see if you can seperate them from the others in the tank.

Feeling fishy

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It's more than likely the molly was already pregnant when you got her, she can also store sperm so could have several more drops from that sperm.
    Guppies & mollies can interbreed though it is quite rare, I'd move the male guppy out to prevent any possibility of them interbreeding.
    The fry can be fed on whatever you feed the adults, just crush it finely & once they're big enough not to be eaten they can go in the main tank, though if it's only 10 gallons then it's too small for mollies.