Hurricane Dorian - Getting A Bit Anxious... Best Of Luck To Other Floridians!!

Ferretlady

Current models show that Dorian could come right over central FL, possibly still cat 2 when/if it reaches us here inland. Irma was a cat-2 when she hit Polk county - I was OK, but man, a LOT of people were hurt really badly here during Irma. The Orlando Sentinel says that if the current models hold, that this could be the worst storm to hit central FL in *3 decades* Shoot, I remember the triple-punch of Charley/Jeanne/Frances in 2004 - whew, that was a fun month - we were living in Orlando then - first time in my entire life in Florida that I'd ever experienced true hurricane weather, actually right in the middle of it.

I'm about 40-50 miles south of Orlando now, near Winter Haven/Lakeland area. I hadn't gotten my fish just yet when Irma came through so I didn't have to worry about any pets at all & luckily I had the means to evacuate at the time & was able to find a hotel in Kissimmee (everything nearby was booked solid 5 days beforehand) - no such luck this time around, I have no way to get over there this time - and I don't want to abandon my 'babies' anyway. A bit on edge about the storm though, as I'm stuck living in a durn mobile home for the time being - I wouldn't be excessively worried if I were in a 'real' house. Ahhh.... but it came through Irma with only minor issues, so ???

Mostly, I'm worried a **LOT** about my poor fishies!!! I have a good battery-powered air pump & extra batteries - it's the heat that concerns me though. Tank temp stays close to 80 as it is (my AC isn't very good & my power bill is outrageous just keeping the house thermostat at 80-82). When the power goes out here, this house heats up like an oven in no time flat. If it looks like we'll be hit bad, I'll turn the AC on non-stop for as long as possible ahead of time - but once power goes out, the heat just skyrockets immediately in this stupid house, so I don't know how much good that would really do anyway... Yeah, I can freeze water bottles but if the power's out for any time, the freezer isn't going to be working either.

Anyway - sorry to ramble - just a bit on edge here & letting off some nervous energy, I guess! I'm really anxious to see what happens over the next day or two - whether the storm changes course or whether we are going to get clobbered directly here.... Charley was kinda scary back in '04, but we were in a strong very well-built house & my husband was still alive, so having him there with me & being in a 'real' house made all the difference in the world - I wasn't too shook up by it. Ha - I crack up now, remembering it -- during the hour or so that it was really super-duper-bad outside, my dear husband & I were huddled down in a small central hallway of the house, with all 12 of our ferrets LOLOL!!! Poor fur-kids didn't know what was happening!! Charley was moving so fast though - the truly super-scary part was over quite fast, so only a short while closed up in the hall! LOL.

Where I'm stuck living now, and being all alone ever since TI'm died - it freaks me out so much more now.... I'll see how it goes over the next day or two -- We're certainly going to get some bad weather out of it - 'normal' storms are one thing, I can deal with a 'normal' storm - no way to know for sure yet if we'll get a direct hit and see actual hurricane-force weather or not....

Ah - sorry to ramble.... gonna run to the corner store & get more batteries just to be sure....and maybe break my diet & grab some chocolate cookies or ice cream LOLOL!

Best wishes to other Floridians here!!! (And anyone else who might be in the path of the storm, since we don't know just where it's going to end up yet....) So very sorry to ramble - I know I talk too much & probably get on people's nerves badly -- thanks for listening & letting me let off some steam!

Cherie G

Hang in there Ferretlady & other Florida members! Cookies and ice cream sound like a very good idea. Hope the storm goes easy on everyone, keeping you all in my thoughts for sure! Stay safe!!!!!

kallililly1973

Stay safe Florida!!!

Gamer

I feel prepared. I have the supplies including a generator, but I’m afraid my tanks may have to suffer when the power outages occur. There’s no getting around it but just hope it doesn’t last too long for the fish sake.

MaryABeth

Current models show that Dorian could come right over central FL, possibly still cat 2 when/if it reaches us here inland. Irma was a cat-2 when she hit Polk county - I was OK, but man, a LOT of people were hurt really badly here during Irma. The Orlando Sentinel says that if the current models hold, that this could be the worst storm to hit central FL in *3 decades* Shoot, I remember the triple-punch of Charley/Jeanne/Frances in 2004 - whew, that was a fun month - we were living in Orlando then - first time in my entire life in Florida that I'd ever experienced true hurricane weather, actually right in the middle of it.

I'm about 40-50 miles south of Orlando now, near Winter Haven/Lakeland area. I hadn't gotten my fish just yet when Irma came through so I didn't have to worry about any pets at all & luckily I had the means to evacuate at the time & was able to find a hotel in Kissimmee (everything nearby was booked solid 5 days beforehand) - no such luck this time around, I have no way to get over there this time - and I don't want to abandon my 'babies' anyway. A bit on edge about the storm though, as I'm stuck living in a durn mobile home for the time being - I wouldn't be excessively worried if I were in a 'real' house. Ahhh.... but it came through Irma with only minor issues, so ???

Mostly, I'm worried a **LOT** about my poor fishies!!! I have a good battery-powered air pump & extra batteries - it's the heat that concerns me though. Tank temp stays close to 80 as it is (my AC isn't very good & my power bill is outrageous just keeping the house thermostat at 80-82). When the power goes out here, this house heats up like an oven in no time flat. If it looks like we'll be hit bad, I'll turn the AC on non-stop for as long as possible ahead of time - but once power goes out, the heat just skyrockets immediately in this stupid house, so I don't know how much good that would really do anyway... Yeah, I can freeze water bottles but if the power's out for any time, the freezer isn't going to be working either.

Anyway - sorry to ramble - just a bit on edge here & letting off some nervous energy, I guess! I'm really anxious to see what happens over the next day or two - whether the storm changes course or whether we are going to get clobbered directly here.... Charley was kinda scary back in '04, but we were in a strong very well-built house & my husband was still alive, so having him there with me & being in a 'real' house made all the difference in the world - I wasn't too shook up by it. Ha - I crack up now, remembering it -- during the hour or so that it was really super-duper-bad outside, my dear husband & I were huddled down in a small central hallway of the house, with all 12 of our ferrets LOLOL!!! Poor fur-kids didn't know what was happening!! Charley was moving so fast though - the truly super-scary part was over quite fast, so only a short while closed up in the hall! LOL.

Where I'm stuck living now, and being all alone ever since TI'm died - it freaks me out so much more now.... I'll see how it goes over the next day or two -- We're certainly going to get some bad weather out of it - 'normal' storms are one thing, I can deal with a 'normal' storm - no way to know for sure yet if we'll get a direct hit and see actual hurricane-force weather or not....

Ah - sorry to ramble.... gonna run to the corner store & get more batteries just to be sure....and maybe break my diet & grab some chocolate cookies or ice cream LOLOL!

Best wishes to other Floridians here!!! (And anyone else who might be in the path of the storm, since we don't know just where it's going to end up yet....) So very sorry to ramble - I know I talk too much & probably get on people's nerves badly -- thanks for listening & letting me let off some steam!
Fellow Floridian, I am sure you’ll be fine all the way inland like that! We’re not too worried out here in SoFlo (maybe we should be)

As for the fishies, I worry too. Hadn’t even thought about the temperature really. Ive heard wave makers can cool down a tank a bit, not sure if they have battery powered ones. I would also think you could maybe get a fan to point across the surface? Not sure that would work, but it’s an idea.

Ferretlady

Fellow Floridian, I am sure you’ll be fine all the way inland like that! We’re not too worried out here in SoFlo (maybe we should be)

I hope you're right! I spent most of my life very complacent about hurricanes, thinking I was fine, since I usually lived inland. When I was younger, growing up in Orlando, we used to kinda laugh at the people who got worried about hurricanes -- "You're over-reacting, nothing can happen here, we're all the way inland, we're perfectly fine, it never gets bad this far from the coast!!"

Seeing what Charley did in Orlando, and esp. in Winter Park (lovely city on the north side of Orlando), 2004 gave me a peek of what *could* happen, though. And then Irma packed a rather nasty punch here in Polk county 2 years ago & totally dispelled any remaining complacency I had - there are people in my area who still haven't gotten everything fully repaired & back in total order from Irma - for their sake especially, I hope Dorian bypasses our county!

On my way back from Kissimmee the 2nd morning after the storm, some areas we drove through, or got detoured around, looked almost like war zones, I was shocked to see how much damage there was. My neighborhood was without power for almost a week afterwards - it was frustrating too, as neighborhoods 2 or 3 streets over got their power back several days before we did LOL! Perhaps we didn't get the sheer total devastation that some coastal towns got, but still.... there were some homes around here that were pretty much destroyed (both mobiles & 'real' houses). We had 100+mph winds right here where I live & that can potentially get pretty rough! Lakeland apparently got it worse than we did though (about 20-25 miles away from my house) Check out a very small sample of what a hurricane can do all the way in the center of the state, all the way in land! Photos: Polk assesses the damage left behind by Hurricane Irma

I wish I could go back to feeling all nonchalant about the storms like I used to, simply because I live inland, but I can't help but worry a bit about it now.... (again, being in a mobile home & being alone certainly doesn't help matters either) Hopefully it WILL all be fine, but I've seen first-hand what can happen 'even all the way inland', so I can't just shrug it off like I used to do.... I just hope we don't lose power for a long time again - my poor fish wouldn't make it if we lost power for days & days! I don't have a battery-powered fan - and I couldn't even get any more batteries today -- NO water at all, NO batteries other than oddball sizes, at all 3 stores that are close to my house. That kinda got my attention - I've never ever seen the stores so completely wiped out of basic supplies as they were today! I guess Irma got people's attention around here & they're erring on the side of caution now....

Take care where you're at -- don't freak out but don't be too complacent either -- better to be prepared for the worst & then be able to laugh it off later - than to regret it later!

littlebit_bennett

Anyone elses fish in the path of Dorian having their fish hunker down in their tanks? Mine have been today. Outer rain bands are hitting us now.. ive kept fish for years and years but just so happens I have never had fish during a hurricane. Ice storm yes. Why I got out of the hobby for while. All my tanks froze and busted with a 300 year old oak tree in my livingroom.. 3 weeks no power. Was 12 degrees. . ive seen them act with storms high and low etc.. but never a hurricane. They are all down low hiding in the plants or caves.. I took a couple photos.. they are all hiding but this one guppy lol just right out in the open but he is on bottom like everyone else.. we are on the east coast in central Florida. So we are a tad nervous ourselves right now. I did a 50%water change today on all my tanks to hopefully buy myself some time if we loose power today...

20190828_155408.jpg
20190902_162208.jpg

kallililly1973

It's amazing how Wildlife both wet and dry can sense storms or bad situations. Stay safe and hope you and your wet pets make it through this tough time of the season. That goes for everyone in Florida. As i've said before stay safe!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
shusband
Replies
Views
OldFort Exotics
Replies
Views