Hurricane And Bb

Jed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
With the coming hurricane Dorian, I am curious as to how I keep my BB alive. I have a 10 gal, with 3 kuhlis, a runt Molly, and 2 ottos. My tank has run amazing for a long time. I have a hob with bio rings, sponge and carbon with filter floss. Please help with any opinions or questions! I’m attached to my fish and don’t want to lose them. Here’s my plan for the days of outage. 3 days before impact, today, I will change water as normal. I will rinse media well in old water and replace in hob. 1 day prior, I will change again and leave media alone. Power outage> I will install battery operated air pump. Then remove all media from hob and clip it to the wall of the aquarium. I will place the air stone directly below it to create flow. (My question, will this help? Or spread bad things like ammonia around the tank, mind you I will rinse the media today.) I also plan on trying to create light in the tank somehow because my ottos need algae and idk how else to save that and my plants. What do you guys think, and how do I keep algae/plants alive!?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jed said:
With the coming hurricane Dorian, I am curious as to how I keep my BB alive. I have a 10 gal, with 3 kuhlis, a runt Molly, and 2 ottos. My tank has run amazing for a long time. I have a hob with bio rings, sponge and carbon with filter floss. Please help with any opinions or questions! I’m attached to my fish and don’t want to lose them. Here’s my plan for the days of outage. 3 days before impact, today, I will change water as normal. I will rinse media well in old water and replace in hob. 1 day prior, I will change again and leave media alone. Power outage> I will install battery operated air pump. Then remove all media from hob and clip it to the wall of the aquarium. I will place the air stone directly below it to create flow. (My question, will this help? Or spread bad things like ammonia around the tank, mind you I will rinse the media today.) I also plan on trying to create light in the tank somehow because my ottos need algae and idk how else to save that and my plants. What do you guys think, and how do I keep algae/plants alive!?
Just do a good water change beforehand,. Your bb wil survive 3 days in an unfiltered tank as long as they're in water. An airstone and temperature regulation are all that's necessary for your fish. Don't feed any of your fish for the three days and that will cut down on waste. Your plants- and algae will do fine for 72 hours without special attention. Where in Florida do you live? I have family in Land o Lakes (Tampa) and Orlando.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I have an extended power outage, I remove the filter media from the filter and place it directly into the tank. This keeps it wet and the bacteria does get exposed to some ammonia.

Best of luck and be safe!

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am unsure of the availability of these where you are, however there are several different types that are like this on the market such as Cloverleaf Absolute Pearls that do the same thing. The Evolution Aqua Pure Aquarium balls are available worldwide

They neutralise any harmful things like ammonia, nitrates etc when added to the aquarium water. I use the Evolution Aqua ones (below) weekly after each water change and during power outages too. You can't add too many so no overdosing accidents and the fish perk up no end when they are added too

They keep the balance right, so in a case like you are facing, adding a couple of the gel balls each day til after the hurricane has passed and the power is stable again, should do the trick for you

Pure Aquarium
Absolute Pearls

Jed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Momgoose56 said:
Just do a good water change beforehand,. Your bb wil survive 3 days in an unfiltered tank as long as they're in water. An airstone and temperature regulation are all that's necessary for your fish. Don't feed any of your fish for the three days and that will cut down on waste. Your plants- and algae will do fine for 72 hours without special attention. Where in Florida do you live? I have family in Land o Lakes (Tampa) and Orlando.
Ok that’s the plan as of now, and I’m hoping the temp stays below 80 inside bc I have no way to keep it cool! I live in Daytona, gonna be facing the full force of landfall.

jdhef said:
If I have an extended power outage, I remove the filter media from the filter and place it directly into the tank. This keeps it wet and the bacteria does get exposed to some ammonia.

Best of luck and be safe!
Do you think if I were to put the air stone below the media it would add flow like a filter and keep it alive longer? I might be facing more than 3 days without power, I’m only miles from where the eye will hit on the coast! Thankyou.

pagoda said:
I am unsure of the availability of these where you are, however there are several different types that are like this on the market such as Cloverleaf Absolute Pearls that do the same thing. The Evolution Aqua Pure Aquarium balls are available worldwide

They neutralise any harmful things like ammonia, nitrates etc when added to the aquarium water. I use the Evolution Aqua ones (below) weekly after each water change and during power outages too. You can't add too many so no overdosing accidents and the fish perk up no end when they are added too

They keep the balance right, so in a case like you are facing, adding a couple of the gel balls each day til after the hurricane has passed and the power is stable again, should do the trick for you
I’ll check that out!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jed said:
Do you think if I were to put the air stone below the media it would add flow like a filter and keep it alive longer?
You can do that, it might help. It won't hurt! Stay safe! Looks like the newest projections say the big hit will be in West Palm Beach. You may not have a power outage! Fingers crossed!

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A lot of time when power goes out, HOB filters will completely drain, so you deffinetly want to put the media in the tank.

And yes, I think it's a great idea to run a battery powered airstone under the filter media. It will help keep the water oxygenated and it will stimulate the BB.

Good luck! I hope you and your fish stay safe!

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your plan is just exactly what I personally would do. But wait until powers out to change the media to the tank and above the bubbles. I always just set my media at the bottom on top of the bubbles. You may well loose a little BB but that's nothing a couple days of regular running won't fix and your fish are u likely to notice much, if you're worried add a dose of prime each day for a week.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your bacteria will not die in days or even weeks probably.
It goes dormant when starved before finally dying .So some may be sleeping by the time you get filter turned on again in event of long power failure .
I would make plans for your safety and possibly gather water for the tank ..
I would not worry too much about the tank or your bacteria..

Jed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Momgoose56 said:
You can do that, it might help. It won't hurt! Stay safe! Looks like the newest projections say the big hit will be in West Palm Beach. You may not have a power outage! Fingers crossed!
It’s curling right up the coast though!
ystrout said:
A lot of time when power goes out, HOB filters will completely drain, so you deffinetly want to put the media in the tank.

And yes, I think it's a great idea to run a battery powered airstone under the filter media. It will help keep the water oxygenated and it will stimulate the BB.

Good luck! I hope you and your fish stay safe!
sfsamm said:
Your plan is just exactly what I personally would do. But wait until powers out to change the media to the tank and above the bubbles. I always just set my media at the bottom on top of the bubbles. You may well loose a little BB but that's nothing a couple days of regular running won't fix and your fish are u likely to notice much, if you're worried add a dose of prime each day for a week.
That’s my plan! I have prime and some quick start to help the colony recover when it’s all said and done.
coralbandit said:
Your bacteria will not die in days or even weeks probably.
It goes dormant when starved before finally dying .So some may be sleeping by the time you get filter turned on again in event of long power failure .
I would make plans for your safety and possibly gather water for the tank ..
I would not worry too much about the tank or your bacteria..
i didn’t know that, Thankyou!
Thankyou all for your concerns and help!

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello. I live in Florida!!! When we had the Hurricane about 2 years ago I got a generator to run my tanks. I didn't have water to do water changes so I didn't feed them that much. Everything was OK. Stay safe and I hope your fish do well!!!

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also live in Florida up in the panhandle and have had been through several storms over the years. i have a small generator that is pretty much dedicated for keeping the filters and some lighting going for my 3 tanks. I also have a larger generator for the refrigerator, freezer, and the smoker. Don't for get about fuel for both generators and a full propane tank or 2.

littlebit_bennett

Reaction score
Jed said:
I did a huge water changes too. Hopefully Dorian wont be so bad. I love my fish and most have names. They help with my anxiety. So soothing to watch for me. So i would hate to loose my fish as well. My fish in all my aquariums have begun to hunker down.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom