Hungry Or Just Curious? Funny

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Mongo75, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Mongo75

Mongo75Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +247
    Every time I get within spitting distance, all my fish head to the top front of the tank where I drop in their food. It's fun(ny) watching them. If I don't feed them, well...if fishy looks could kill, lol.

Every morning, it's flake food. Every evening, it's either freeze dried blood worms, or freeze dried brine shrimp. I switch off every other night. Tonight, I fooled them. I have some new water wisteria floating, and dropped the brine shrimp in the middle of the plants rather than their regular greasy spoon. For about 30 seconds, it was just cold stares, then one of my Creamsicle Mollies saw the subterfuge and like a streak of lightning, it was every fish for himself. It was like watching all those piranha documentaries, LOL!

I love watching my wee little beasties

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. Debbie1986

Debbie1986Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +101
    LOL! that is too funny

3. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +314
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Feeding time is always fun, but honestly be careful your not over feeding your tank. Bad things happen with too much feeding. I personally normally only feed my fish every other day and then once a day. Over feeding is the single most common mistake new people make. It’s also probably the worst thing you can do.

4. pagoda

pagodaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +629
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My aquariums resemble feeding time at the zoo.....fish charging around like demented lunatics and absolutely no sense of an ability to queue in an orderly fashion

They are fed once a day...before my own breakfast in the morning cos they are spoilt rotten and if I sit having breakfast before they do I get many many many pairs of eyes like daggers :eek:

If they are very good....as in not arguing too much and they don't start playing up at bedtime (Cory trick).....they get two treats a week before bedtime....Tuesday its tubifex and Thursday its brine shrimp. Pleco & Gold Algae Eater get their wafers after everyone else has gone to bed and is asleep

5. TadpoleMadtom

TadpoleMadtomValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +44
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It's fun to watch any fish eat a mosquito larva.

6. Betta'sAnonymous

Betta'sAnonymousWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,162
    Experience:
    4 years
    Our platies do this as well. Mollies and platies are both pigs in my experience lol! My bettas know slightly better...they don't get super excited until the food actually hits the water. They used to get excited when the feeding hatch ooened, but then the kitten learned how to open it, so now they hang back out of reach to see if a furry paw is coming or food

7. whux

whuxNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    3 years
    I generally feed them in the same spot, but I've sometimes mixed it up and thrown in the food elsewhere in the tank and I genuinely think they get confused, haha. I mix up what I feed my fish and generally feed them a couple of different foods since some fish don't like like of them pellets I use. I feed a little bad when I feed them and they quickly swim over to get a mouthful and then realise they don't like it. Poor little guys.

8. AquaCaitlin

AquaCaitlinNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    1 year
    My guppies and female bettas do that! I once tricked them as well by hiding the food in a plant... one of my female bettas discovered it first and began to chow down, the others eventually got to it though!

My betta Fry are quite different though! Whenever they see me coming they dart the opposite way!
    Until, of course, I put their banana worms in! Then they all come out and feast!
    For such young Fry they have intriguing personalities!