Hundreds Of Worms Out Of Nowhere????????

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jackie42016, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Jackie42016

Jackie42016New MemberMember

I need help!! I do weekly water tests and water changes for my new 3 gallon tank for my betta. Today, I started my water change by lifting my decoration and suddenly a HUNDRED of white hair like threads (<0.5cm) just floated all over the tank. Before this, the water was completely clear. I did a water change 8 days before and they weren't there. They appeared after I disturbed the gravel. They just float. They DON'T MOVE at all. I feed my betta once in the morning and once at night 3 pellets each time. Please let me know if I am overfeeding him. I also just bought an otocinclus from petsmart 3 days ago. Can you tell me what worm I have in my tank? I actually have a phobia of worms but trying hard to find a solution to this problem. Please help me out. Thank you so much.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. EternalDancer

EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

I can't remember what they are but I feel like I've seen this discussed somewhere recently, and they are not harmful.

Do a pwc with a good gravel vac and you should be able to get rid of most of them. If I have a focus spot I want to vac, I pull the siphon bit off my vac and put the hose straight in. It's much smaller so I can concentrate on a tiny area.

Or you can get a turkey baster and get them with that.

3. OP
    OP
    Jackie42016

Thanks! I freaked out cause they appeared out of no where and there were so many! Please let me know if you find the link to a similar post.

4. purslanegarden

purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

Two worms that are common in tanks are detritus worms and planaria worms. However, both are not afraid of moving around your tank, so I don't know which one you have. Detritus worms move in a squiggly motion around the water, and planaria like to move around on your aquarium glass. While getting some things going on my tank, I experienced various worms and bugs, but over time, as the tank conditions get better, including having a cleaner tank and surface tension, it seems these critters either died off, or moved away, or hide away in the substrate.

In the end, if your tank is doing well, you will just see more fish than other things, so keep at it.

5. Herkimur

HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

6. OP
    OP
    Jackie42016

No live plants! Or moss balls! Only gravel and decoration from petsmart.

I do a test before I do water changes and last night, the results were:

pH: 7.4
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10 or 20 ppm

I check every week. Are there any other advices to help maintain my tank??

Also, I covered my filter intake a few days ago with panty hose because my bettas fins were having cuts. Maybe it's actually thread from the panty hose??? But how would have it have cut into a hundred pieces and be all in the substrate... Honestly, I dont know if theyre worms and I'm too scared to put my hand in the tank unless I have gloves.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  7. wapooshe

wapoosheValued MemberMember

Fire.. kill it with fire.