Hundreds of hitchhikers in cycling tank

justintree3

I have a 20 gallon tank that is currently cycling.

I have some dwarf hairgrass and anubias planted in it, and I think one of them had a hitchhiker, because there are hundreds of tiny white things swimming around the tank (can't get a picture, they're too small - they make cherry shrimp fry look big).

Now, usually when I get new plants, I treat them by soaking them in water with hydrogen peroxide to kill parasites, followed by a saltwater bath to kill snails...but I skipped that for these plants, because I'm an idiot.

Is there something I can dose the tank with that would just kill off any non-plant organisms that isn't going to also force me to start the cycle over? Would peroxide do the trick?

richiep

Before you start dosing snails dont mass hatch the way you're describing so I'm assuming it may be copeapods or seed shrimp,
Are they free swimming

Upvote 0

justintree3

They are free swimming.

Definitely not snails.

Upvote 0

richiep

Porobley seed shrimp which have hatched and nothing to worry about if it is, are you feeding the tank

Upvote 0

richiep

try and take a photo as close as you can

Upvote 0

justintree3

We've been feeding the tank with plant fertilizer, so there's plenty of algae for the little guys.

Would these be shrimp that would just get eaten by any fish I end up putting in?

Upvote 0

richiep

Yes they will get eaten by fish, they are harmless, its unusual in a cycling tank but the fact you are using ferts and creating algae is a perfect feeding ground and I'd say a bonus to your tanks cycling

Upvote 0

justintree3

Easier to see with a video:

Upvote 0

richiep

can't make out if they are copeapods or seed shrimp, you could Google both and match them, they definitely got some good feeding there

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

Cyclops Copepods. Aka water fleas. It's very possible that you have both. But these have the tiny little tails and look to dart around a bit. The seed shrimp will move more like a bumblebee. Worth trying to mantain if you ever decide to breed fish.

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

The invaders seem to be a collection of different small crustacean species, including water fleas and copepods. They, along with other aquarium creatures like detritus worms and flatworms are the aquarium's cleanup crew.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JamieLu
Replies
Views
Aqcapt
Replies
Views
Liv2011
Replies