60 Gallon Tank Humor me - Once bitten, twice shy.......

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore! I've been down this path myself way before finding Fishlore. You are not alone. Hang in there, you'll make it.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is possible to do a fishless cycle with TSS but I would advise against it unless you constantly check your water params, otherwise your kinda shooting yourself in the foot since the bacteria will be waiting for you to deliver an ammonia source rather than having a fish that's constantly producing it. It would be nice to see some data on a fishless TSS cycle though to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.

SueN

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Another recommendation....general good practice is to use a quarantine tank for new introductions, even when you trust your LFS and in this case I assume there's still not one found that has a "track record" you can count on. The 10 gallon is ideal as a quarantine tank for small fish. Also, if buying platies, decide whether a mass number of babies will be feasible. If not, buy platies of the same sex.

Sue

brlandwehr

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry to hear about your experience. I went a little less whole-hog, but had my first 2-3 fish die horribly in my brand new tank after keeping a couple alive in a smaller one for a few years, then found this place ... and have learned a lot in a short time.

My son lost interest in having a running, yet empty tank for about 6 weeks. He thought the tests and color matching were fun for about 2 weeks. And for most of that time, I didn't think I had a single bacterium in the place.

The trick for me was borrowing an absolutely filthy old filter from a friend of mine. Suddenly the ammonia disappeared and the nitrite not long after, and my undergravel pulled lots of bacteria into the gravel.

Now, my son and I spend some time checking out the fish each day and feeding them together. Our favorite game is "find the sucker-fish" (the Bristlenose Pleco).

If I can do it, you can too.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Best of luck, the whole learning process can be a bit overwhelming at first, but you are doing the right thing for the fish and thats what matters in the long run IMO.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom