Humidity caused by 30 gallon tank?

1. annewaldron

annewaldron Valued Member Member

Does keeping a 30 gallon tank affect the humidity in a 800 sq ft apartment? My landlord is ok with me keeping fish, but cautioned me about potential problems caused by humidity.

? I can't imagine that keeping a 30 gal tank would turn my apartment into a black mold farm.

Any insight on this?

2. greenbeanette

greenbeanette Valued Member Member

LOL I doubt it :)

3. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I highly doubt that it's being caused by the tank or would be caused by the tank. Especially if it's a tank with a lid on it.

4. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

annewaldron Valued Member Member

Ok, good- I figured that sounded like misinformation!

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A glass top will eliminate evaporation (with a normal tank temp), keeping the humidity down.

With all my tanks in my 1000 sq ft apartment, the humidity at this very moment is 47%. In the winter it was down to about 30%.

What's "high" and "low" is relative to where you live, and the time of year. I live at the beach, so the humidity is always high.

6. ucdcrew

ucdcrew Valued Member Member

Just because I've been burned by landlords in the past, get a weather station that tells you the internal humidity. I would take before and after (couple weeks) pictures of the station and keep them on file, especially if you don't know your landlord well. Someone tried to get me to replace the drywall in the bathroom, saying that the fish tank in the living room (which I had approval for) had caused the mold. I told her that my tanks had tops on them, and that the internal humidity in the bathroom was caused by...surprise! The shower. I wrote her a scientific paper with rates of evaporation, ect. that showed that the tank could not have caused it, which she didn't understand so she dropped the issue and gave me my deposit back.

7. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Rubbish, if the apartment is damp the roof is leaking!

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree - I got one for the same reason - they had said that the windowsill in my bedroom was water damaged by the humidity of the fish tanks. It was ridiculous, but not very expensive so I didn't bother fighting it.

Since my tanks are unheated, it's a great tool for me to know the temps are stable. I love my weather station :)