Humane way to handle this ich :(

1. Kamie427 Member Member

I have one fish in my 20 gallon reef tank, a beautiful coral beauty. I noticed ich two weeks ago and began treating with herbal treatment and water changes. I also tried fresh water dips. Nothing has helped and my poor Sulawesi and she (i just call her she) is breaking my heart. She stopped eating yesterday and is getting worse every second. It looks like the ich is eating her? because she's starting to look half eaten. She has just lodged herself behind a rock and isn't moving anymore. I feel like it'd be more humane to put her out of suffering....this sucks. I feel so sad for her. What do I do?

2. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about your ich problem :(
    I'm not sure what to do with saltwater fish but I know with freshwater you want to turn up the heat in the tank a few degrees. Maybe you should try doing this with your tank? I'm sure someone who knows more about this than I do will come along and be able to help you more.

Good luck with your fish

3. Kamie427 Member Member

I've heard that from a few people, actually. I really want to try it, but I'm so nervous that doing so will harm my corals. I'm not sure, so I was hoping someone else had tried it with a reef tank. Someone also told me I could drop my salinity for a few days. Hopefully she'll pull through!!

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Camie. Sorry to hear that your fish is ill. If you'll go to the top right hand section of his page and do a search for "salt water ICH" you'll find more information there. I don't have any personal experience with salt tanks.
    Best of luck!
    Ken