Humane Fish Disposal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BuddyD, Apr 22, 2017.

1. BuddyDWell Known MemberMember

Is there a way to do away with a fish nobody wants? I have this one cichlid out of many that insists on harrassing my Dojo Loach. None of the rest even pay attention to it. I like my Dojo much more than this Acai Cichlid. He ticks me off.

2. Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Hi there,
    You can return the Cichlid to the pet store you bought it from or you can give it away to someone else.

3. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Agree with above! That is the most humane method! You don't need to return the fish for money :), sometimes they will just take it for free!

4. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Put an add on craigslist for it...put it in it's own tank and call it the "jerk tank"...make sure he has other compatible "jerks" to go with him, and the tank is large enough :)

5. BuddyDWell Known MemberMember

Not possible for return, was bought online and time limit for returns has run out. And first poster missed the first line where I said "Nobody Wants".

No extra tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Perfect excuse to get one!

7. fisshWell Known MemberMember

An Accei is a African cichlid it's his job to be mean! If it's colorful most stores will take it for free, even if you didn't buy it from them.

8. Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Okay, do know anyone who might want it?

9. Zebraloach2New MemberMember

But whatever you do, do not dump the fish into a local pond or lake.... Something like that happened near me. One day I was going fishing and I saw 6 goldfish swimming around in the lake. I netted it out of the water and now it's happy in my 75 gal

10. SallImSayinValued MemberMember

Craigslist. I've done it, there are fishkeepers (on a budget) on there looking for good deals, be it for fish, tanks, or accessories.

11. Zebraloach2New MemberMember

I think the easiest way is to just give it to a pet store. Sometimes they'll give you credit except when I bought 2 Rainbows but then decided to return them because they were too aggressive toward my other fish.

12. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Where is the nearest pet store or LFS? LFS are more likely to take in the fish rather than a big chain pet store like Petco or Petsmart.

13. Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Agreed.

14. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Our PetSmart takes fish in. I have in the past taken fish to them, and I have taken fish that others have brought in.

15. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Good to know!

16. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Sorry, it is the PetCo near us that does that. I had a long week. Mind is a bit slow :(

17. Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Haha, no worries. :)

18. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

No worries, I also sometimes mistype! But it just the fact that big chain pet stores will sometimes take in fish, thus giving OP more options! :)