Hugely fat flame tetra. Just big? Or problematic?

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by annewaldron, Dec 17, 2012.

1. annewaldron

annewaldron Valued Member Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355796288.308704.jpg

I call her Big Bertha. She's by far the biggest of all the tetras in my tank. There was a period of time when I caught her flashing a little bit, but haven't really seen that recently. Nothing else seems to point to a parasite of any kind. Don't notice any abnormal poop. No signs of dropsy or anything. Hearty appetite, of course!

Should I be concerned that she is so gigantic? Even when you look at her from behind, her sides are much more bowed out than the other tetras' sides.

Just a fatty? Or should I be concerned?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

If the fish is acting normally, the eyes are clear, swimming upright, regular bowel movements, no signs of parasites, fungus or other disease, then I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

Has the fish always been bigger than the others since you've had them? If it's a female, maybe she is full of eggs. (?)

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

annewaldron Valued Member Member

Funny, I couldn't figure out why this fish didn't have dropsy- it seemed like it should. When I got home today, dropsy had set in. I think it was probably a parasite or something. Poor fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice