HUGE white mouth fungus.

samth

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My water parameters are fine, I do a 30% water change each week, most weeks and my tetras are all active and eating well.

The only problem is that one has an enormous white lump on the corner of it's mouth (about ten times the size of it's eye.) and two more have the same, but smaller. They don't appear to be suffering and I'm currently treating the tank with malachite green to no effect.

The only thing I can think of is the temperature. My heater is set at 27, but often my thermometer shows it to be much lower. For example, it's at 23 right now. Should I add in a smaller heater and increase the temperature? Or do I have to cull the three fish with the fungus?

At least I /think/ it's a fungus.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!
How long have they been sick? How long have you been treating them with Malachite Green? Sorry for so many questions If you could post a picture it might help us identify the problem.
carol

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning. The link above may help you some.

Best wishes.

Ken

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi, i just had a cory die from that white fungus. when i first noticed it i pulled him out right away and put him in QT. i wasn't able to get out, due to illness, for meds that day....by the time i got them, it was too late. but i was told by mr.jaysee, to use pimafix for fungus...it's a natural type medicine. it might have worked if i could have gotten the meds right away.

do you have a quarantine tank? it would be best to get them out of the main tank.

samth

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you for the advice. It looks as if it might be colomaris, which I'll treat for. Aside from having the mouth fungus, I'm seeing ragged fins and the one with the largest mouth fungus today has a very pale red streak as opposed to the vivid red the others have. I'll post pictures up as soon as I can get them taken - they are hard to catch!

samth

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
UPDATE. The tetra with the large white growth on his face has now got a pretty severe sore on his tail side, it's all white as if he's missing all the scales and some flesh there. Treating with Melafix.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ah, sorry to hear you are having problems.

Are you only treating with Melafix?

Pimafix & Melafix are not a strong medication, so they don't help in severe infections. Melafix is good for healing damaged fins & wounds.

Using both Maracyn & Maracyn II would be good for infections.

"Fungus, fin rot and mouth fungus are all opportunistic infections that can occur when fish are stressed or injured. In some situations, fish may contract more than one of these diseases, and distinguishing between them is often difficult."

Source:

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my corys have been having this kind of thing....a little white puff ball thing, that kind of gets bigger and bigger, eating away at them. i was treating with pimafix and nothing. it could be bacterial. i'd try something else......if it's not too late. out of my 4 corys, 2 have died, and the 3rd has just gotten a little puffy thing. very odd.

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the feeling that the fungus are caused by infected wound.
Tetra love to peck at each other quite aggressively.
I have 1 Neon that have similiar issue, it died 2 days later after I gave it medication.

It was fine with that fungus for over a month until I try to give it medication.

Anyway, do keep us updated regarding your Neon.

samth

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well for another update, the Neon died.

The growth on its mouth did not retreat after five days of Melafix treatment (possibly because it was too weak as someone suggested, though I has seemed to make the others more active and with less fin damage) The white sore on its side did not retreat and I did notice once or twice that the other tetras snipped past and bit it on the wound. Don't know if they just made it worse, or caused it in the first place.

Towards the very end its tail was very, very slightly bent (NTD?) and this morning I found it stuck, dead, in the filter.

I'd quarantine the rest of my tetras with the same developing white growth, but they're too hard to catch. :/

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sorry about your neon. my cory is in q right now, getting maracyn. and luckily i think that may be keeping the infection at bay. the little puff ball on his tail is gone and no other ones have come yet.

so i know they're hard to catch....but it'd be better to get them out. i know there is a fish trap you can buy. but i'm not sure how much it is off the tp of my head. who else is in the tank?

samth

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Melafix and primafix didn't help with the treatment. Second tetra with mouth fungus hasn't improved, only got worse.

I'll be freezing him along with another that looks like it has NTD, which is a pity because they're both otherwise in excellent health and eating well. Couldn't get my hands on any maracyn.

As for what else is in my tank I've five more neon tetras, a shy bristlenose and roughly five adult guppies, perhaps five more month old babies - the guppies did at one stage earlier develop white fungus on their mouths, but that was removed with treatment and didn't develop into a lump like the tetras'.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads