Help Huge Water Hardness Problem

JoelTRG

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok so I just did a water hardness test and apparently my whole life I've been using hard water for my fish tanks... I have not been aware that where I fill up is made so that it does not go through our water softener... which again I was not informed of by my parents...
So ... my water hardness is 425 PPM and I do not know what to do...

Thanks,
-Joel

Thai Aquarium owner

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So you have been using the same water in the tanks for a long time.
Why are you starting to worry now ?
If you have no problems, and the fish are doing well, and are healthy why are you panicking ?

OP
JoelTRG

JoelTRG

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ThaI Aquarium owner said:
So you have been using the same water in the tanks for a long time.
Why are you starting to worry now ?
If you have no problems, and the fish are doing well, and are healthy why are you panicking ?
I am panicking because I have never done a hardness test and fish have never done very well in my tanks.

The reason this is the first time I have tested is because before I didn't even know that was an issue I thought I was using soft water.

Thai Aquarium owner

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok ! Now things are clearer.
The first thing to do is check you have no rocks or decor that contain Calcium,as this will also raise the hardness along with the PH.
If you have, remove the items from the tank and then monitor the Ph, Gh and Kh levels.
If the water after a week or so is still very high on Ph, Gh and Kh then you need to consider adding some peat pellets and bogwood to the tanks to softer the water, which will also reduce the Ph.
You could also use RO water mixed with the hard water to reduce the parameters

zaraspook

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have the same problem where I live. Great for African cichlids but nothing else. What I ended up doing is a R. O. unit to a storage tank. Then I added a pump and piping from my basement to my aquarium. With the R. O. unit I'm able to get my water to around 50 -75 ppm GH. Then I adjust the water with my tap water to get GH I want in the storage tank for my aquarium. You can sometime able to buy R. O. water at LFS too.

ricmcc

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most Central Americans and live bearers would also like that water, the fish, I mean, so there is no lack of choice for you.I do use an RO/DI unit, but really do prefer to match my fish to what comes out of my tap, which is also very hard. Best to you, rick

OP
JoelTRG

JoelTRG

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just that one tap is hard the rest are soft so I will now start adding that to the water... And I doubt it something in my tank raising the hardness because the water from the tap I was using is the same ppm. As for ph it is at a good level and I have driftwood to help keep it low.

OP
JoelTRG

JoelTRG

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ThaI Aquarium owner said:
If there is something in the tank raising your Ph, a pound to a penny there is something in there that contains Calcium.
This could be the substrate, rocks or some decor object.
If it is I am getting new substrate soon anyways... However I doubt it is because my tap water is also the same hardness level so the issue isn't what's in my tank...
-Joel

New Threads