Huge Ph Difference, How Long To Acclimate?

Jenoli42
HI team. so we picked up a tiny EBJD male today from an independent FS that can only be described as "crazy cat lady" but with fish.

We're acclimating using hanging bag method, but before we started I checked the pH of the water from the FS.

it's barely 6! like, it could be below... nearly clear on the API test.

our water is 7.4

that's like 50 times more alkaline than the water it's been in. . minimum.

so we're basically doing the drip method with a cup. adding <1/8 cup every 10-15 mins...

his color is slowly returning & he doesn't swim away from the water.

my plan was to check the bag pH after an hour of this & continue until the pH is about 7.2 before finally adding him to his QT.

I can easily drop an airstone in his bag I just don't want to freak him out.

any other suggestions?

mattgirl
When I got my mollies I had the same problem with the ph they came home in. It took me several hours (I want to say 5 hours but I've slept since then so could be off a little bit ) to acclimate them.

Instead of keeping them in the bag though I poured them along with all their water into a 1 gallon transparent bucket for the acclimation. I actually sat the bucket on a heating pad turned down low and had a digital thermometer in there to make sure the water was temp matched. With them I poured in about 1/4 cup of water every 10 minutes or so and continued that until the PH matched. I didn't add an air stone since I was adding water so often.

Your way of dripping the water in there would be a lot easier than my way though. I will attempt it the next time I have to acclimate new fish friends.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new baby

Jenoli42
thanks we're not in any rush except to make sure he's healthy in the bag. he had a few hour drive to come home with us. he had a heating pad & was in an insulated cooler

so his bag's up to about 6.6 after 100 mins. the original pH test has been sitting that long but may have been 6.2 (it looks a tinge greener although I realise its unreliable after this long). so far so good. leaving 20 mins between some adjustments just to be safe

Lunnietic
"crazy cat lady" but with fish - me. This is me.

I am kind of stunned that the pH of that water is that low. (Maybe its because my pH is 8.0). I used the drip method before...I don't remember how I did it, but I did it with tubing so I didn't have to keep running back and forth with a cup. I had my fish in a pitcher while I did this...and I kept the pitcher lower than the tank where the water was coming from. Again, not sure how it worked...I just know it did.

Congrats on your babys!! ♡♡♡

Ulu
I would get a good sniff of the water that he's in right now and see how it smells & if that water smells really strong, like ammonia, nitrates, stinky methane etc, I will try to get him out of it a little faster.

When a fish is bagged up for a long time the ammonia content in his bag explodes the moment you open it up and expose it to oxygen.

Adding fresh water is good but if you're adding it slowly and he's in an ammonia laden scum, he's suffering more from that.

If you've got some bottled water with an intermediate pH you could add some, or use pH down on some tank water before adding it to your fish.

Jenoli42
"crazy cat lady" but with fish - me. This is me.

I am kind of stunned that the pH of that water is that low. (Maybe its because my pH is 8.0). I used the drip method before...I don't remember how I did it, but I did it with tubing so I didn't have to keep running back and forth with a cup. I had my fish in a pitcher while I did this...and I kept the pitcher lower than the tank where the water was coming from. Again, not sure how it worked...I just know it did.

Congrats on your babys!! ♡♡♡

no... this woman was the person we *think* we're turning into but we're not that far gone yet. trust me.

but she went out of her way for us & loves her fish.

yeah some of the fish in there wouldn't be particularly happy at pH6 imo. then again, if it's stable, all good.

I'll post photos later tonight

I would get a good sniff of the water that he's in right now and see how it smells & if that water smells really strong, like ammonia, nitrates, stinky methane etc, I will try to get him out of it a little faster.

When a fish is bagged up for a long time the ammonia content in his bag explodes the moment you open it up and expose it to oxygen.

Adding fresh water is good but if you're adding it slowly and he's in an ammonia laden scum, he's suffering more from that.

If you've got some bottled water with an intermediate pH you could add some, or use pH down on some tank water before adding it to your fish.

this is what I was wondering about. I can't tell about the bag water smell because we've cleaned the QT lid with vinegar & that's all I can smell atm (rinsed the inside but mustve missed the outside lid) lol.

however, the store smelled distinctly fishy. . like nitrate fishy.

it looks like with our current pace of acclimation he'll be in the tank in another hour. that's a total bag time of 7 hours due to the road trip. not ideal but no signs at all of high ammonia watching the fish.

but now that you say this ill test because you've made me paranoid lolz.

would a couple drops of prime be ok if it's above .25?

Lunnietic
would a couple drops of prime be ok if it's above .25?
Yes. You can dose up to 5 times the amount of prime needed (not recommend for more then once in a blue moon kind of deals) in a pinch. Should be fine.

Jenoli42
mission accomplished!

he's a little more pale than the last half hour in his bag but otherwise curious & active.

20180331_202740.jpg

20180331_202842.jpg

20180331_202818.jpg

Susiefoo
What a gorgeous fish!!

My LFS has a pH of 6.0 whereas mine is 7.4. I acclimate over an hour (cup method like you) and have never lost a fish, so you should be fine.

Jenoli42
What a gorgeous fish!!

My LFS has a pH of 6.0 whereas mine is 7.4. I acclimate over an hour (cup method like you) and have never lost a fish, so you should be fine.

he'll colour riiiight up. more pix once he does

Lunnietic
Ughhh...I cannot wait to set up the 55 ♡. He is such a pretty boy. Can't wait to see his full colors in bloom. (If he is a boy?)

Jenoli42
Ughhh...I cannot wait to set up the 55 ♡. He is such a pretty boy. Can't wait to see his full colors in bloom. (If he is a boy?)
yep we're pretty certain he's a boy. we saw the pair & he was the bright one.

once we get the tank divider we'll get a firemouth... but we need this one to grow

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
taj13
Replies
Views
platy ben
Replies
Views
CatfishGuy
Replies
Views