Ht Levels Have Spiked In Just A Few Hours!!! I Have A 20 Gallon Tall Ht With A Red Cap Oranda Who Is Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by lovemyfanciesbut, Mar 30, 2019.

1. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

I have an established HT with an out of no where nitrite spike! My tiny oranda is in my 20G tall tank being treated with Furan-2. Its only filled with 10G I have an established sponge filter and air stone running. Temp is 73 I did a 25% water change this mornings and added 3rd dose of Furan-2 and just a few hours later my little red cap seems just a little less herself and took a couple big gasps so I decide to test to be safe.
    Ammonia- .50
    Nitrite- 2.0-5.0
    Nitrate- 10ppm
    PLEASE HELP!!!

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

So that tells me your tank isn't cycled fully, or a number of things could be crashing the cycle, the most likely of which are, overfeeding, not enough water changes, and not enough filtration
    How long has the tank been up?

3. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

This tank and sponge has been set up since the first week of March. I haven’t had any issues with the levels since then

Also I feed her once a day either a couple peas or sinking pellets which she gets rid of instantly almost and over done a water change every day or every other day. I just did a 25% change this morning per the instruction with Furan-2

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2019
  4. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Has anything changed in the tank since then? Something is definitely crashing your cycle.
    Was the tank always half empty?

5. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Yes it’s been half empty. My local fish shop helped me get this all set up since she had to be treated

6. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

@mattgirl @Momgoose56
    That just makes no sense to me, nothing in the setup has changed, and suddenly the cycle crashed. What filter are you running? Did you remove the media in it for the Furan? If you did, that would be my only guess for the crash

7. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

I haven’t changed anything. It makes no sense to me either and I’m panicking. Everything has been pretty smooth since I added her.
    I had a bad feeling today when I added the third dose of furan too

I have just a large hikari sponge filter and an air stone

8. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Found your problem on the API site: "This medication will harm the biological filter."

You also don't quite have enough filtration in my opinion

9. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

So the beneficial bacteria on the sponge is all dead??? I was told this wouldn’t kill any beneficial bacteria on a sponge or even if I had a HOB the media would be fine just to remove carbon but since I only had the sponge I just had to add the meds

10. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Just curious, where did you get all this advice from?
    Unfortunately, it sounds like you were lied to for the sale, exactly why I only ask for sick fish on here, then get exactly what I need and nothing else.
    So now, you might as well have an uncylced and unfiltered tank. Usually you should be doing at least a 50% change a day in a situation like this, but I think that'll mess up the medication process

11. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Wow so what do I do now?!?!
    The place I got the info from is just a ma and pop fish shop.
    All they have is fish and a couple random rescue rodent type pets and some reptiles! Everyone always seemed so intelligent and informed!

12. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

The best advice I can give is don't panic and start adding things to fix the problem. If I am understanding correctly this is a hospital tank and you have another cycled tank. If that is the case then losing the bacteria on this sponge filter is bad but not really that bad. Hopefully you still have seeded media in your main tank.

How soon can you do a water change? You have to decide which is going to be more damaging to your fish. Removing some of the medication or leaving the high ammonia/nitrites in there. I would have to choose a big water change to get the numbers down and maybe then re dose the medication. Right now I wouldn't be worrying about the cycle in this tank. I would just be doing water changes to protect this little guy from the rising nitrites.

I think I would add some aquarium salt to this tank. Goldfish should be able to tolerate low levels of salt and it has been known to help when nitrite levels rise.

13. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ok, they probably truly didn't know then, but this wouldn't surprise me if you got it all at a chain store like petsmart.
    I agree that losing some meds is worth cleaning the water up, what are you treating for exactly?

14. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Ok. Thank you so much for helping us!
    I have a 40g breeder tank with 2 Aqua clear 50’s one of them is maybe 2 months old but the other is maybe 2yrs established. I’m worried to lose that media .

I don’t like chain stores and do my best to stay away from those places for these reasons!
    I’m treating for what we r guessing an bacterial infection on the side of my red cap. Not sure if it was from a parasite or from when she was bullied by my 4yr old Ryukin and had some scales ripped off and could’ve caused an infection there. I started with melafix and it didn’t do anything the first week and then tried just a dab of peroxide and it seems to really irritate it so now Furan-2

15. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I think a good way to combat the med loss then is to cool the tank if possible. Bacteria grows faster the warmer the water, so cooling it will slow the growth.

16. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Omg these people told me to make it warmer!!! ‍♀️‍♀️‍♀️‍♀️

17. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

:rolleyes:
    I don't think they have much experience with disease. With a parasite, high heat works great to speed the life cycle, and boost the immune system for the fish. With a bacterial infection, high heat is a surefire way to kill your fish, or make things worse.
    This is all assuming it is a bacterial infection though

18. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Ok I have some pics and a back story for u. Maybe u can give me your opinion?
    I had an older Ryukin in a 20g tall.
    My son begged and cried for these 2 fish we have now so I added them with my Ryukin and already planned to buy a 40g long after the purchase. Well as I figured my Ryukin would hurt one of not both because of the small tank or just territorial. Within a few hours she had my red cap pinned in a corner of larger rocks. I removed the 2 new fish until I could get a separator while I waited for my 40g. My red cap had quit a few missing scales but seemed ok. I noticed as time went the one side of her stated to get a pink raised lump almost directly on the area of missing scales.
    The pet shop said it could be a tumor so they had me use melafix. I followed the directions for the 7 days with no signs of it going anywhere. Then they said peroxide. If anything that irritated the help out of it and now here we r.

My poor babies in a tiny home while we waited for their new tank and the set up

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2019
  19. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I think the pink patch was just healing, melafix wouldn't do anything for a tumor anyway. Would you give a cancer patient a bunch of vitamin gummies and some tylenol to cure them? Didn't think so, a tumor on a fish could only be professionally treated and removed, just like with people. I honestly think all these meds will cause more stress and not help much, and that it would be best to just let it heal naturally

20. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Believe it or not this is the good side of the missing scales but this is before ....

This is before I treated it with anything! And the dummies told me it’s a tumor and it will go away with melafix ‍♀️

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2019