"How's this heat?!"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Everythingzen, Jan 7, 2013.

1. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

This is actually one thing people aren't saying this time around, or that old chestnut, "It's SO hot! I don't remember it being this hot when I was a kid." Uh, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say firstly, thanks Captain Obvious, it IS a little warm! However, I don't think many older folk, or even anyone in general, can remember specific temperatures from years earlier! Is it hotter than years ago? Possibly! I do have trouble remembering the details of Feb 16, 1987. I think I at school having a water fight in the bubbler shed.
    Ok, sarcasm aside, lol. We're having some cracking heatwaves in Australia at the moment. Is anyone doing anything special to stay cool? I've somehow managed to keep my house pleasant with just the fan running. I've kept most windows closed and shut the blinds which are thankfully wooden venetians, so the house is dark. We're all living like mushrooms, lol. Hub swears the air conditioning is the only way he will survive summer, but I hardly ever put it on. It's 44 outside currently and thankfully no fires anywhere near by. We'll go jump in the pool when the sun goes a bit further way.
    :;rocker

2. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Lucky!!

It's SOO chilly here in Minnesota, and I'm quite sick of it. It has been starting to warm up a bit though, which is definitely a plus! Can't wait for summer again!!

3. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Minnesota is up north, isn't it? I'm not good at all with US states, lol. It seems you get either sub-arctic temperatures or ludicrous heat! Where I live it's only ever mild (winter) or stinking hot (summer).

4. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

There are plenty of places with mild temperatures, and places with very distinct seasons. Chicago is the latter, right now it's well below freezing, but in the summer it can be over 100.

5. Meeps83Well Known MemberMember

I'm in Wisconsin (where I live is south/southeast of Minnesota) and it was 40f today. Last week it was around 10f. We'll be getting rain/thunderstorms (or so they say) by the end of the week.

I love summer...until it actually gets to be 105f out. Then I hate it. But at least I don't have to shovel snow when it's that warm!

6. Skysong87Valued MemberMember

You have a pool??? *cries* I think it is around 41 degrees here at the moment (105F?) and I don't have the air conditioning on yet ... But I may give in to temptation :)

7. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

o_O I'm coming to Wisconsin! lol

I like it even when it's that hot. Then I can lay in my hammock and do nothing :) Though, I'm the kind of person that has a space heater in her room, set to 75-80F ;D

8. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Are you south of Syd? I'm west. It's so dry. I wish I lived closer to water. Love sea breezes!

9. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

It is a heat wave here too, it broke 40 degrees today! I would rather be in the Hobart in Australia rather than Hobart, Indiana lol. Sounds like good weather to go out cruising in the car while listening to some music with the windows down :).

10. Skysong87Valued MemberMember

More of a southwest direction. But yes I can totally understand west being hotter! I've had to go out west a few times in the last few weeks and I refuse to do it without the air con in the car being on lol.

11. SturtyValued MemberMember

Im in tumut working on hot trucks in a tin shed whist wearing jeans and a tshirt, its currently 43°c (110°F) and its hurting me :mad:
    But all im worried about is my fish, i have the hood off, ceiling fan on high, lights off and blinds closed.
    There is a little bit of light just so the fish can see. Fingers crossed it stays under 26°c. It shot up to 30° on the weekend grrrrr

12. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Makes me sad that there's still snow up here- I miss the car-cruising weather! lol

13. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Hope you don't dehydrate, Sturty! Geez.

And 40f is crazy! I used to really hate the cold. I grew up in the Blue Mountains, and winter would often go to under 5C (or under 40F).

Skysong, I'm just up the Penrith end of the Northern Rd! We're semi rural. It's fantastic when the weather isn't extreme.

14. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I cannot stand the heat! thats why I'm glad it's generally beween 1 and 10 degrees here (34 and 50 degrees F), nothing like going out in a tshirt and shorts on a brisk day to get your blood pumping :)

15. EchostaticWell Known MemberMember

I know a guy in Australia, he's said there's been some really bad fires out there. It's finally starting to cool down here in Texas, it's only going to be in the 50s the next few days.

16. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, there's been horrible fires in Tasmania and unprecedented heat to go with it. Quite a few houses have been lost, and some people were still unaccounted for last I heard, which was yesterday.

Alan, you're nuts!! ;D

17. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

It's now midnight but it's still a ludicrous 35C. There's supposed to be a cool change coming up. I wish it would hurry up and get here so I can get some work done!
    [insert grumpy smilie here]

18. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I was in Thailand and it was about 35 degrees at night, needless to say I made a good bit of money selling my sweat as a plutonium substitute on the black market.

19. 2HeadedBoyValued MemberMember

Hmmm, should this thread maybe be moved to the "Fishkeeping HOT Topics" section?:;laughing

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

20. ayladWell Known MemberMember

Is there any place down under that regularly gets high humidity? Because you haven't felt miserable until you've felt the sticky sweltering steam-roast of a Southeastern U.S. summer, 100 degrees and 100% relative humidity.

In college I was a cartpusher spending 8 hours a day on a black asphalt parking lot, pushing long lines of carts by hand (this was before they got those newfangled motorized gizmos). The heat that would come off of that asphalt by about 3 in the afternoon was unbelievable. It was... unpleasant. I think my brain got fried during those summers.

It gets hotter in other parts of the U.S., but "at least it's a dry heat," as they say.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice