How's My Progress And What Should I Do Next? How Do I

1. H

Hanzo Watanabe New Member Member

2. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

For this cycle to progress if you aren't doing so already you do need to add ammonia or something that will produce ammonia. Without an ammonia source your bacteria will start dying off and your cycle will be lost.

3. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Lava rock is fime for decoration. You just need to wait until you are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate some preferably 5-20 andd then start adding fish slow few per week

4. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

How are you feeding you bacteria? Pure ammonia, fish food or is this a fish in cycle?

I would dose ammonia back up to 2ppm ammonia if you are using ammonia, or add more fish food.

If you have fish in, do another water change to protect them, nitrites at 5ppm are highly toxic to your fish.

Temperature and PH?

Looks like you are almost there since your ammonia is low/0, and you have nitrites.

5. OP
    OP
    H

I have a few Platies and cories.. planning on feeding them during the day and change the water at night. Thanks!

Temp is around 20 degrees Celsius and pH is at constant 7.6

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

That temp is going to need to come up, even 71 would be better. (That would be 22 degrees celcius)

7. Hunter1

The warmer the water, the quicker the cycle.

8. OP
    OP
    H

Got it ! Thanks

9. OP
    OP
    H

UPDATE! I tested the water today and this came out: Ammonia=0ppm; Nitrites=0.25 ppm; Nitrates=5ppm. Am I there yet? IMG_20180603_005449_HDR.jpg IMG_20180603_005428.jpg

10. Hunter1

Oh so close!!!

You want the nitrites at 0 too. But I bet that happens in the next day or 2.

If you plan on adding more fish, do so slowly, a few at a time.

11. OP
    OP
    H

Thanks!!! Sadly lost a couple of bronze cories (LFS told me they're Hardy). Hope it finishes cycling tomorrow! Thanks!

12. Hunter1

In my opinion corys are hardy but my experience is, if they last 2 weeks, they will live a long time.

I lost a couple of albino corys once within a week of getting them. And no other losses at the time including existing corys. I attributed it to either PetSmart or poor acclimation but used my regular method so I just quit buying from PetSmart.

Curious, how long were the bronze corys in your tank?

13. OP
    OP
    H

Around 3 weeks? They're bronze cories.

14. Hunter1

Are your nitrites to zero yet?

I currently have 31 corys (pepper, bronze, sterbia, Pygmy) out of the 34 I stocked in the last 8 months. The 3 that didn’t make it all died in the first 2 weeks.

15. OP
    OP
    H

UDPATE!!! Is my tank finally cycled?!! IMG_20180606_224942_HDR.jpg

I just think some individual bronze cories aren't that hardy. But since I think my tank Is cycled now, I'd say they're generally hardy

16. Hunter1

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

17. OP
    OP
    H

Thanks!!!