Howdy

potterTheDachshund

Reaction score
Hi everyone, awesome to be here and not just google search lurking anymore. Awesome that this forum is still active and growing. I have 3 tanks and am dabbling in guppy breeding. Here's a shot of my custom sumped 20 gallon long. Was super fun to build the plumbing, overflow, sump and stand and its a great home for my female guppies.

IMG_20191023_003457.jpg

potterTheDachshund

Reaction score
Thanks Cdcruiser. Here's a bit of a build log:

The stand was a 2x4 frame with 3/4" pine plywood. I built it specifically for the 20 gallon long and a 10 gallon sump, but I left enough room for an upgrade to a 40 G breeder and a 20 gallon sump underneath. Here it is after the stain and before the doors:
IMG_20190915_214104.jpg
It took me forever to drill the tank, I was super paranoid because my space was close both the edge and each other. I reinforced the holes with the 1/2" acrylic and pre-drilled it so that the acrylic was a guide.
IMG_20190920_222313.jpg
Rough hole in the stand for the pipes

Here's the tank finally on the stand with the 3/4" bulk heads fitted
IMG_20190920_231035.jpg
and from the bottom
IMG_20190920_231042.jpg
I believe this is a herbie, either way here are the standpipes. The return is 1/2" pipe though I could use the full 3/4" of the bulkhead if I wanted later. I've since added a foam filter over the full siphon because I have had fry make it into the overflow.
IMG_20190921_151207.jpg
Overflow acrylic cut and installed
IMG_20191005_175612.jpg
Another shot of the standpipes/overflow and the plastic screws that will hold the weir, which is that plastic grid stuff from craft stores used for knitting or something.
IMG_20191005_175619.jpg
Here's the initial sump setup. I've since filled the entire center chamber with ceramic rings and added better mechanic filtration/ polishing media. I've also tossed my heater and thermometer and small light down there. I plumbed a recirculate line which has been crucial to control flow.
IMG_20191013_162624.jpg
Finally after what seems like decades I was able to fill it up.
IMG_20191013_162614.jpg
Full shot with the sump
IMG_20191013_180357.jpg

Was a fun project but the filtration is probably super overkill. I've always wanted to build a sumped/drilled tank and I made myself do it after getting this cheap 20GL, overall I'm happy with it.

potterTheDachshund

Reaction score
Thanks coralBandit, breeding is really addicting. Seeing those tiny fry for the first time has the be the highlight of this hobby for me.

Here's an updated photo of the sump, there's a ton of extra filter media in there I'm just keeping cycled for the 5 gallon I'm getting back up and running. I also just sort of toss media in there if I'm not using it.
IMG_20191119_213716.jpg

potterTheDachshund

Reaction score
Thanks Sorg67! it's all pieced together from ideas I've seen all over the place. KingofDIY on youtube was a big influence on this project not to mention the impressive backlog of sump builds on this forum. The overflow design is pretty common, I believe it's a herbie except the 'emergency' standpipe is a durso.

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
potterTheDachshund said:
Thanks Sorg67! it's all pieced together from ideas I've seen all over the place. KingofDIY on youtube was a big influence on this project not to mention the impressive backlog of sump builds on this forum. The overflow design is pretty common, I believe it's a herbie except the 'emergency' standpipe is a durso.
Very cool. Inspires me to try.

potterTheDachshund

Reaction score
Sorg67 said:
Very cool. Inspires me to try.
You have to really like diy projects. I had a great time designing it and plumbing. But to be honest my 29G seems with 2 big aquaclear hang-on-backs seems just as well filtered, though I may still be building up good bacteria in the sump. The big advantage of the sump to me is just that you can hide all your equipment and wires down there.

potterTheDachshund

Reaction score
coralbandit said:
Very well done !
I love building sumps!
My last freshwater using a 20 long ;
That's awesome! looks great with glass walls. There's something about building sumps that makes me feel like a 5 year old playing in the sink, its just good fun. What did you do with all the space in the back and on the right?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I found this build on TPT.It is fresh water designed without so many overflows /baffles to reduce outgassing ..
I have a sock in the overflow then cut to fit and bi media stacked before the sponge .The sponge is last but count it as my main bio media .
All the space after that is water that allows me greater time before topping off for evap .
Baffles are not needed in freshwater besides to direct water flow and most designs allow little time between top offs due to evap ..I have built sumps since the 1980's ! My best advice is always leave the most room last where your pump goes to reduce top offs ..
Sumps not only hide equipment and have tremendous filtering ability but can make your life easier if designed properly !
Here is a video the guy [Jimbo] who designed made of it running ;

potterTheDachshund

Reaction score
coralbandit said:
All the space after that is water that allows me greater time before topping off for evap .
I have, in a couple of months learned this lesson the hard way! Fortunately I'm doing weekly water changes and the top off isn't too big of a deal, but I have several times been close to running the pump dry. Next sump will have a big pump chamber. Also I didn't realize the baffles weren't need in freshwater - that's great because it takes up a fair amount of space and a lot of time. It seems like freshwater sumps are pretty rare in the hobby and I'm always wondering how much of a benefit they give. I personally just love the flexibility and being in control of my filtration. All that said its hard to beat a sponge filter with an air pump for simplicity and utility. For me though, setting up the tank is as big a part of the hobby as keeping fish, and I love the engineering side.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom