Howdy from SW Missouri

1. BadKarma Initiate Member

:;hi2

Hi everyone. I'm trying to get back into the hobby after many years away. I was watching a show on Discovery and they were showing some large predatory fish in Lake Malawi Africa munching on a few cichlids and I about fainted when the "dinner" amounted to about $200 worth of nice stock!!!!

Anyway, it got me interested again and now I'm in the planning stage. I don't really know what I want yet, but I'm thinking maybe a couple smaller tanks (10 or 15 gal) and maybe 1 larger tank of maybe 40 gal or so. Space is a factor I have to consider.

Anyway, it's good to be back after soooooo long with out a tank. I now realize how much I've missed them.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!!!! hope you enjoy our site :)

3. Shadowbeam Member Member

Welcome to fishlore, and congrats on getting back into a fantastic hobby ^^
    Look forward to hearing your stocking ideas etc :D

4. BadKarma Initiate Member

Thanks Shawnie. I am a bit of a forum junkie and I really like this layout.

5. BadKarma Initiate Member

Thanks Shadow. I have decided that I will be using live plants for all my tanks this time around. I've never used them before, so should be fun. I also am looking into a invert only tank, but just an idea right now.

6. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome! I'm excited to see where you go with your tanks.
    If you are looking for some light reading and don't already know about it, the nitrogen cycle is a great place to start. ;)
    It's good to have you here.

8. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!!. I used to live very close to Branson myself. It's changed A LOT since then though..lol. Congrads on getting back into the hobby!!.

9. BadKarma Initiate Member

Thanks everyone for a very warm welcome.

Meenu, when I was a youngster my Mom got me started raising Bettas and Angles, but that was many moons ago. We were starting tanks that way, we just didn't know it had a name!!!! :)

CHoffman, I've lived here almost all of my life, but then there was that time I lived in Shawnee KS for a couple years!!!!

10. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

That's very close to me as well..lol. We used to live in Hollister. My mom and dad had a Gift shop in the Harbor Town Mall in Branson. That's gone now but I loved it down that way. It's beautiful.

11. BadKarma Initiate Member

My office is almost a stones throw from there!!!!!

12. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

How funny!!. Is the Mall still there?? I thought it was torn down for a hotel or something..I would really love to get back that way sometime. I kinda miss it.

On the live plants in your tank I would highly recommend them. Planted tanks are my very favorite, I just love the look of them.

13. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

Hi BadKarma,

I used to Live in Missouri and found a excellent fish shop in Springfield, MO.

They specialize in salt water and cichlids. The owner breeds (or use to) most of his own african stock.

They are called Cichlids and Salt, you should try and go and have a look at them. His Knowledge of african cichlids is unbelievable, and everything is scientifically named with no tanks with labels of "mixed cichlids".

Anna

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:) Welcome to FishLore!

15. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Glad you joined and gettin back into fishkeeping! Whoohoo!!! ;D

16. BadKarma Initiate Member

CH, nope the mall is gone. I can remember going to the little arcade they had at the end!!
    This town has really changed in the last 20 years, I'm not really sure you'd recognize it.

Anna, the store is still there and running just fine. I've been in there, but cichlids just aren't my thing. I've always been a big tetra and cat fan and am getting really interested in inverts. But I still go there just to watch the Oscars rearrange the tanks for them!!! hehe

Thanks for the welcome Christine. Question: Being in Alaska, do you have to cut ice to feed your fish every morning? lol ;)

Just as an update, as CH and Anna can attest to, my sources of fish suppliers is very VERY limited here. But we did just get a Petco last year and I went over to see if I can get an updated fish species guide, well, I found they had a 14 gal starter kit just went on sale and one of them found it's way into my truck! :;santaclaus I'm not calling it my X-Mas to myself, but my B-Day is Dec 29th so that works!

I had planned on waiting until I had all my planning and research done before making any purchases, but my will is weak. I'm a bad man. :;pirate

Will keep everyone posted on the progress.

17. BadKarma Initiate Member

Oh btw: Live plants are a must now.

18. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

19. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Carol

20. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

So I'd hate to be the one to get you hooked but have you checked out www.aquabid.com
    I buy a lot of my fish from there. VERY ADDICTING so be aware of that..lol. You can buy inverts there too. :;a1 Live plants and fish. Very cool place.