How Would You Stock This?

  • Thread starter

Spulvert

New Member
Messages
39
Reaction score
6
Points
8
Experience
Just started
Fairly new to the hobby, did immense amounts of research and I’m finally in the middle of cycling my tank! I’m very excited especially with how I plan to stock but I keep changing my stocking plan every ten minutes so I was wondering how you fish peeps would stock a tank like this. It’s a 40 gal high so it’s a lil awkward and don’t worry about the dullish scape, I will be changing it up and adding plants shortly as well a water change
 

Attachments

Finatic005

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
56
Points
38
Experience
1 year
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Spulvert

New Member
Messages
39
Reaction score
6
Points
8
Experience
Just started
Finatic005 said:
If u want tannins, a betta and some tetras would be nice
I’m hoping the tannins will go away with water changes down the road but I am really starting to become a fan of the betta/tetra/corydoras combo.
 

Finatic005

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
56
Points
38
Experience
1 year
Spulvert said:
I’m hoping the tannins will go away with water changes down the road but I am really starting to become a fan of the betta/tetra/corydoras combo.
Nice
 

Zka17

Valued Member
Messages
197
Reaction score
115
Points
38
Just curious, how tall is that tank?

If it is reaching 20 inches, then you will need to plan for low light plants... it is not easy/cheap to find short strong light fixtures...

I do like the better/tetra/cory combo, but... based on my experience, bettas like shallow water... at least the ones I had... may be their individual personality, though...

You can still get creative with the aquascape and provide shallow portions for the betta... like an underwater mountain - that would also increase the surface area for the corys...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Spulvert

New Member
Messages
39
Reaction score
6
Points
8
Experience
Just started
Zka17 said:
Just curious, how tall is that tank?

If it is reaching 20 inches, then you will need to plan for low light plants... it is not easy/cheap to find short strong light fixtures...

I do like the better/tetra/cory combo, but... based on my experience, bettas like shallow water... at least the ones I had... may be their individual personality, though...

You can still get creative with the aquascape and provide shallow portions for the betta... like an underwater mountain - that would also increase the surface area for the corys...
Definitely planning for low light bullet proof plants. What materials would you use for the underwater mountain my LFS seemed to lack just a little bit. from memory I think the tank is 24 inches tall. I would love to nail the mountain look
 

Zka17

Valued Member
Messages
197
Reaction score
115
Points
38
Rocks and gravel... place a something below the rocks (light crate), choose rocks with do not reach the surface, allow couple inches for the betta. Gravel can be almost flat or you can create a slop - this later one could be tricky though. If you use the rocks only to build the mountain, I would also glue them together to make sure that they are stable. It is not a problem if you will have some caves/holes through the mountain - fish will love it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Spulvert

New Member
Messages
39
Reaction score
6
Points
8
Experience
Just started
Zka17 said:
Rocks and gravel... place a something below the rocks (light crate), choose rocks with do not reach the surface, allow couple inches for the betta. Gravel can be almost flat or you can create a slop - this later one could be tricky though. If you use the rocks only to build the mountain, I would also glue them together to make sure that they are stable. It is not a problem if you will have some caves/holes through the mountain - fish will love it.
Very good input, getting good ideas from this, I’m wondering if I could add more sand and break that chunk of dragon stone and stack to create a little bit more height. Can’t wait to mess with it when I get home from vacation
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,202
Reaction score
2,457
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
The first thing I would suggest is getting an extension on the filter input so the pipe goes at least half to 3/4 of the way down to decrease the 'dead zone' affect that you have going on currently where over half of the tank water is below the intake (and will not suck up mulm from the substrate.

If anything, a canister is perfect for this type of setup...



As for aquascaping, vertical elements are your friend, whether it is from rock work, plants or driftwood. Getting a few more dragonstone peices to compliment what you have already is a good start, ideally looking for long/thin peices that you can stand upright to create some vertical scale.


Another good option is to locate some taller peices of wood, such as manaznita wood, which tends to be rather branchy. You could either position so the branches tend to occupy the top of the aquarium and create a mini underwater tree of sorts with mosses and the like, or to keep it natural, have the branches near the bottom and create the illusion of an eroded riverbank.


For plants, low lighting is definitely going to be your friend, unless you go with something powerful like floodlight or metal halide (with CO2 for demanding plants). Good plant to fill out the vertical scale would be vallneseria sp or crypt balansae or spiralis. Another couple of plants for the background would be amazon swords, tiger lotus, banana lily, large anubias, bolbitis and narrow leaf java.
For mid ground, stick with crypts or java fern (like normal, windolov, Philippine ect) tied to wood rocks. Anubias (coffeefolia and nana) can also be used in a similar way.
For foreground, your not going to have a lot of options, but a couple of worthy contenders would be anubias (like petite) tied to rocks (or nana even!), tropica swords, crypt parva and bucephlandra tied to rocks/wood.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Spulvert

New Member
Messages
39
Reaction score
6
Points
8
Experience
Just started
aussieJJDude said:
The first thing I would suggest is getting an extension on the filter input so the pipe goes at least half to 3/4 of the way down to decrease the 'dead zone' affect that you have going on currently where over half of the tank water is below the intake (and will not suck up mulm from the substrate.

If anything, a canister is perfect for this type of setup...



As for aquascaping, vertical elements are your friend, whether it is from rock work, plants or driftwood. Getting a few more dragonstone peices to compliment what you have already is a good start, ideally looking for long/thin peices that you can stand upright to create some vertical scale.


Another good option is to locate some taller peices of wood, such as manaznita wood, which tends to be rather branchy. You could either position so the branches tend to occupy the top of the aquarium and create a mini underwater tree of sorts with mosses and the like, or to keep it natural, have the branches near the bottom and create the illusion of an eroded riverbank.


For plants, low lighting is definitely going to be your friend, unless you go with something powerful like floodlight or metal halide (with CO2 for demanding plants). Good plant to fill out the vertical scale would be vallneseria sp or crypt balansae or spiralis. Another couple of plants for the background would be amazon swords, tiger lotus, banana lily, large anubias, bolbitis and narrow leaf java.
For mid ground, stick with crypts or java fern (like normal, windolov, Philippine ect) tied to wood rocks. Anubias (coffeefolia and nana) can also be used in a similar way.
For foreground, your not going to have a lot of options, but a couple of worthy contenders would be anubias (like petite) tied to rocks (or nana even!), tropica swords, crypt parva and bucephlandra tied to rocks/wood.
This is extremely helpful, I’ll be sure take all of your advice into consideration as I want this build to be perfect, and I’ll upload the final product once it’s done, I’ll definitely be referencing this post for a while, much appreciated !!
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom