How would you plant this tank 20 Gallon Tank

1. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

I have for the most part finished planting my betta tank. Just need to pick up some Wisteria, and maybe some java moss. Go me :) Here in the next month or two I figured I would move to my other 20g Long Community Tank.

It has been running for ten months at the moment, and I kind of want to rescape it. It has smooth gravel substrates and two pieces of ornamental driftwood and fake plants. The last tests were 0pp ammonia, 0pp Nitrites and somewhere between 10pp and 20pp nitrates after my water change. It runs a LED light, if I need to upgrade it I can, a tetra whisper 20 - 40g filter I am looking to upgrade with a prefilter sponge.

Inhabitants currently:
    1 twin bar platy (female) - pregnant
    2 platy fry (1 is about 1/2" the other from another batch about 1/4" at best)
    4 Zebra Danios and 2 Golden Zebra Danios
    3 Emerald Corydoras and 2 Juli Corydoras (looking for one more to go for and even 3 and 3)
    1 Albino Brittle nose pleco

So what are some things you would do with this tank as far as planting wise exc..... I am starting research and saving up now so I can then put it together. Was considering getting real driftwood for my pleco but I have really no idea where to find it, or how to care for it. Suggestions on that will be helpful as well.

2. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

3. renthus Well Known Member Member

What kind of light is it? There's a huge range on LED lights.

4. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

it is a MARINELAND® LED Aquarium Light Bar. Sorry did not even think of that.

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

When you buy driftwood from a tank do you have to boil it?

6. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Boiling driftwood speeds up the process. When I got my driftwood I boiled it about 4 times and it cured it well. But if you have larger pieces you have to soak it. You can also add boiling water or hot water to the piece to speed up the process a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I mean like, driftwood that was already in water when you bought it.

8. renthus Well Known Member Member

Yes. The purpose of the boiling in this case isn't to get rid of the tannins (they should already have gotten out in their prior tank), but rather to get rid of any assorted crud on it, like bacteria.

I've got one of those and it's definitely low light on my 5.5g. You're talking about the wimpy little 11 inch long thing, right? I'm not even sure it's full spectrum. It'll grow your typical low-light plants -- wisteria, java moss/ferns, etc.

9. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I bought a large piece of driftwood from a yard sale. It was too big to boil, so what I did was put the piece in a large tub full of water and scrubbed it then I let sit overnight. It was ready to put in my tank. But yes you should boil the piece of driftwood to be safe.

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh..... so there is a lot of bad bacteria on it or hitchhikers that will ruin the tank?
    That is good to know, how many days does it take for it to be cured?

11. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

For me I think 1 or 2 days would be good for boiling the piece. For about 30 minutes or an hour

12. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks.

13. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

your right it is low power but all I could afford at the time. As stated above I was willing to do upgrades. I am in a better position to do this now than when I first started the hobby. Working on upgrading my filiter as well. This is the planning stage and in August I plan on putting it into motion. What about substrate? I know gravel is good for plants and it is smoothe but I have corydoras and I always here how they love sand opinions?