How Would I Introduce Nitrite Snail To Betta

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Today (hopefully if not tomorrow) I will be getting a 2.5 gallon for my betta I’m thinking of adding a netrite snail how would I introduce him (or her) to my betta. I know I can stick him in a plastic bag that has some water and float that around but would that work with snails? (The tank will have a divider so not worried about returning)

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Iverg1 said:
Today (hopefully if not tomorrow) I will be getting a 2.5 gallon for my betta I’m thinking of adding a netrite snail how would I introduce him (or her) to my betta. I know I can stick him in a plastic bag that has some water and float that around but would that work with snails? (The tank will have a divider so not worried about returning)
Yes acclimating would help the snail get use to the temp of the tank as to avoid going into shock if the temp of the bag and the tank are far apart. As for getting the betta used to the snail? Might tease him/her more than make the betta get use to the snail. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it much because firstly the snail has a shell to protect it if the betta wants to get nippy, and secondly they swim on two different levels. A betta tends to be at the top while a snail at the bottom. While snails do travel up and down the tank, they never interfere with the betta's swimming space. The betta might nip at it once but it's most likely that it will get the shell, not the actual snail. So they will quickly loose interest most likely so I wouldn't worry too much.

Kat_fishlover

Reaction score
All I recommend doing is acclimating the snail. Make sure to keep him in the bag for at least half an hour until he adjusts. You might also consider drip acclimating the snail. They can get stressed out easily. You don't have to worry about the betta being aggressive towards the snail; he will just think they are a moving rock I hope this helped! Good Luck!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Actually, I wouldn't recommend getting a snail quite yet. Snails are super super sensitive to any trace amounts of ammonia or nitrite, so unless you have established filter material than can handle a betta + a snail, it's better to wait. That being said, nerites tend to fare better with betta's than other snail, I even have one wiht a betta who is a known snurderer (snail murderer), and it has been doing well. Drip acclimation would be best for these guys.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom