How Would Celestial Pearl Danios Do In A 29 Gallon Community?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Dunskap, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Dunskap

Dunskap New Member Member

TmBTLDmgcPb7wDBhJa_ZqUyV7IO1AdsO3oGdffH3JKyP_95EUPurAXytDc_SaImKDUibsw5wpRhYf4F_wQ=w1184-h888-no.jpg Hello all, first post on this site.

I have a 29 gallon tank that's almost done cycling. It's my first time doing a planted tank. The Ludwigia and Pennywort in the back have been growing like crazy

So my plan for a while has been:

3 Honey Gourami (1M2F)
    10-14 Cardinal Tetra
    6-8 Panda Corydora

I think two schools of 7 tetras 2" each would be too chaotic.

Celestial Pearl Danios only get around 0.75-1" but I've heard they're pretty shy. Plus they cost around $4 ea.

So I could do something like
    1 Honey Gourami (1M)
    8-10 Cardinal Tetra
    10-15 Celestial Pearl Danio
    6-8 Panda Corydora

Thoughts on this?
    I'm also open to alternative suggestions for the Cardinals. i.e. Rummynose/Emperor/Silvertip

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  2. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

Watching with great interest! Your first stocking plan (Honeys, pandas) are EXACTLY what I'm planning on, but CPD's were the main fish I wanted.

My 29 is cycled. I took my cycling fish out and was eager to place an order for 24 CPD's when a family member gave me a totally unexpected gift -- three blue rams. Now I'm kind of waffling about what to do.

But anyway, I will be watching this to read what others think.

3. OP
    OP
    Dunskap

1. That's funny that you also wanted Honeys and Pandas. Did you want 1 male 2 female as well?

2. Where were you planning on getting the CPDs? Is about $4 each pretty normal?

3. The 3 blue rams is interesting. I was also extremely interested in 3 Apistogramma Cacatuoides/Agassizii. But I'm pretty sure I can't get the Panda Corys if I get them

4. Miaw

Miaw Valued Member Member

I have a large school of them in a 50g community. They do well, exhibit spawning behaviour etc.

Going to buy a 33g soon to put my small fish in so the big fish are left in the 50g, because I can see them getting eaten when the big ones grow up :)

Sorry I forgot to mention, they are shy alone. I had them in a species tank before I moved them. They were almost always hiding. When I moved them into community with tetras, barbs, cichlids, they were swimming around in the open all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    Dunskap

The Cichlid is reassuring. I was worried one 3" Honey Gourami would be too intimidating for them

6. Miaw

A 3 inch honey gourami is fine. There are geophagus steindachneri... convicts...
    :)

I'm not saying my cichlids are fine, at their current size they are about 3 inch, with a 4 inch male geophagus. Don't get me wrong the geo could eat them if he wanted but he likes the substrate.

7. Ohio Mark

1. Yes, I wanted one male, 2 females. I've never kept honeys before. I've heard some people say they can be a challenge, but others say they have never had any serious problems.

2. I have seen them at numerous different prices. $4 each is not bad compared to ones I've seen. The best price I found so far was at Aquatic Arts where they offer a 6 or 12 shoal. If I remember right, the 12 were around $40 -- maybe $38.95? But I also believe they were very small. Let me know what you decide! I'm interested to hear where you got them, the quality, etc.

3. The rams were completely unexpected and it kind of messes up my ideas on temperatures, etc., BUT they were a surprise gift from my daughter! Only a real hard-hearted dad would have complained. I was amazed to discover someone in our home had actually been listening to me when I talked about fish! After a few days, I did mention the rams are doing fine but I'm still a bit concerned about how they will do in my harder water, etc. and that led into a conversation about impulse fish buying, etc. so I was relieved I could get that point across without any hurt feelings.

The rams are looking bright, healthy, and very active -- even showing spawning behavior, but I am going to have to go with a lower temperature than I'd like for rams. i can only hope they'll adjust... If they do, I won't add honeys.

8. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I forgot to reply to this thread when I saw it, and I wanted to say something.
    When I first set up my 31.2 gallon tank, I bought Celestial Pearl Danios, that cost me $11.99 a piece, and I spent $144 dollars just to get twelve of them.

Yeah, my LFS had them up for too much.
    I was able to get my Cherry Barbs for only $3.99 a piece.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Funny thing is that my experience is
    that CPD are pretty good communityfish.
    The boldest fish in the tank. Females live in / around a specific plant, males swim around.

When kept in a speciestank / in a shoal the surprisingly get skittish little fish !!!

I'D GIVE IT A TRY !

10. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

This has me thinking maybe CPDs for one of my schools in my upcoming 40 gallon. Bet I could do a bunch. Wonder if an EBA would do okay with them though......

11. Ohio Mark

I'm glad to hear that, Double Dutch! As I wrote, the rams were NOT part of the plan, but I'm going to give it a try.
    Glad you are still around to share cory advice! :)
    I'm looking at Panda corys.

12. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Pandas with honeys and CPD's will do great. Cardinals and rams in fact like a bit warmer water ! bc9f47d165ad25996df4ce64e4bc2347.jpg

13. Ohio Mark

Lovely pandas!
    My main problem is my water is harder than ideal for rams or cardinals.

14. Miaw

Despite the shyness a carpeted cpd species tank is guaranteed to yield fry every day. Just save them with a turkey baster to put in the fry tank or they do get eaten!

15. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

Being in Canada I've paid between $9-12 for CPDs, so $4 seems like a steal of a deal to me haha.

Also, and I don't know if it's just the stock I've been getting or what, but I can't seem to keep more than a school of seven. Just tried to up the school to 11 and I only have one lonely little guy left (or they're just that good at hiding lol).They seem like very sensitive little fish, which sucks because their fin colouration is gorgeous.

16. Miaw

It might be related to unstable pH or something. I used to have problems with fish dying before I used tetra easy balance. I had kh of 1 or 2 so there were pH swings. Now things tend to just survive

17. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

pH has been a stable 7.8 since the tank was set up. Any everyone else (shrimp, corys) are doing fine so I honestly have no clue lol. Not trying to hijack the thread for an answer, just something I've noticed since I've bought over twenty of the little guys and they just disappear.

18. OP
    OP
    Dunskap

So I'm looking at seriouslyfish.com

Honey Gourami: 22 to 27°C
    Cardinal Tetra: 23 to 29°C
    Celestial Pearl Danio: 20 to 26°C
    Panda Cory: 22 to 25°C

I was thinking 76°F which would be 24.4°C. Do you think this would be fine?

Edit: added °F

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  19. OP
    OP
    Dunskap

Yep I was looking at either Aquatic Arts or Manzanita-driftwood.com I've ordered spider driftwood off their site and everything went well. But never any fish

Wow $11.99 a piece is intense

That's great to hear that they do better with other species

20. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

That sounds like a good temp, no extremes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice