How would breeding different colors of bee shrimp affect the babies' color?

babykitten

I have a 10gal and was looking into getting some bee shrimp eventually. I really liked bee shrimp and I was wondering if I could get different colors. I'm not looking to breed anything on purpose (although breeding will probably be inevitable), but I dont want any babies to turn out a brown color. So, how would breeding different colors of bee shrimp affect the babies' color?

Gel0city

I'm not a breeder, so make sure you get additional information or check my answers before going with them. When you mix different shades of colors, I doubt that will make a brown or black color in a fish. Say if one parent has a black shade, while the other has a yellower shade, then the two won't mix together as if you mixed paint together. My guess is that genetics would allow the offspring to have either one color (that the parent had) or a combination of both: meaning black shade with a few yellow stripes, etc. Colors will all be different for the baby shrimp of course. Some shrimp might carry a genetic trait that is quite rare, like a recessive trait. Maybe I am getting too scientific, but that is my guess.

babykitten

I'm not a breeder, so make sure you get additional information or check my answers before going with them. When you mix different shades of colors, I doubt that will make a brown or black color in a fish. Say if one parent has a black shade, while the other has a yellower shade, then the two won't mix together as if you mixed paint together. My guess is that genetics would allow the offspring to have either one color (that the parent had) or a combination of both: meaning black shade with a few yellow stripes, etc. Colors will all be different for the baby shrimp of course. Some shrimp might carry a genetic trait that is quite rare, like a recessive trait. Maybe I am getting too scientific, but that is my guess.
Thank you! That makes sense

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Amber818
Replies
Views
Bmur05