How wide do tanks have to be?

1. Altari Member Member

I've got no designs on doing this in the near future but have finally decided to seriously entertain the idea long-term. Between my kitchen and living room there's a half-wall (capable of bearing a load) with a shelf that's approximately 8 inches wide and 6 feet long. Since we moved in I've thought it would be a novel place for a tank but always passed the idea off. So I was thinking an 8x12x72 tank. built-in to the walls. Is this feasible (for the fish) or would it just be too narrow?

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I think it would be fine if you got the right kind of fish - like small tetras. They're horizontal swimmers and would look *fabulous* swimming back and forth in a big school. You just want to keep them small enough that they can easily turn around in 8 inches. :)

I don't know anything about the feasibility for cost, water pressure, etc. If it works, sounds like it will be beautiful.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Altari. It sounds like a wonderful idea to me as well. Great suggestions by Ilovee.
    Best of luck and should you decide to go ahead with the project, I hope you'll take lots of photos!
    Ken

4. Betafish305ca Member Member

anyone know of vertical swimmers?
    don't mean to take over.....

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

My husband and I thought about this, but we did not try it. we figured that with a tank so narrow, if it got shoved against, it might fall, since it is between two rooms and therefor not supported on one side.

But we have 2 kids under 5, so more likely at our house.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

maybe angels? ???

7. DRock914 Member Member

You also got to figure how you will fit a filter, light, and accessibility to open the hood and still have it look good. I would also not recommend having any part of the tank stick out from the shelf and not be supported underneath but it doesn't appear you had that in mind. You could make it a community tank with different small tetras.