How & why?

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by joya, Aug 9, 2014.

1. joya

joyaValued MemberMember

It's amazing how my blood parrots redone the landscaping, lol. They made hills in the sand. I guess they didn't like flat surface.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Delaneyw

DelaneywWell Known MemberMember

Your tank and fish are beautiful! I love the hill they made, they wanted to redecorate their home. Sounds like they are comfortable and happy!

3. OP
    OP
    joya

joyaValued MemberMember

Thanks Delaneyw! I hope they are happy because they are very shy fish.

4. Theman1

Theman1Valued MemberMember

My Blood Parrot is always digging. But mostly when she is about to lay eggs.

5. OP
    OP
    joya

joyaValued MemberMember

Oh wow, say it ain't so! I have one mature parrot & the other is not mature, at least I don't think so. He doesn't have the hump yet, & he's smaller. Well if they are both rbp the male can't fertilize the eggs anyways.

6. Blueszz

BlueszzWell Known MemberMember

It's rare but some males are vertile. Mine dig a lot too but it only becomes really "bad" when the female is ready to lay eggs.
    I really enjoyed your picture!

7. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Apparently they have Red Devil/Midas in them. These are both prodigious diggers.

8. OP
    OP
    joya

joyaValued MemberMember

Thanks blueszz! My tank doesn't look the same now. There was brown spots on the glass, so I used a magnetic algae cleaner, and now its all over my terra cotta pot, and silk flowers:( I'm not sure what to do! I read somewhere that it's because I don't leave the light on long enough, which I don't, & that eventually it will go away in due time on it's own.

9. Blueszz

BlueszzWell Known MemberMember

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.
    I think you deal with diatoms, if your tank is new (a few weeks old) is pretty common to have large amounts of diatoms on the glass and ornaments. Gravel and sand leach often silicates, and glass if the tank is new does the same. This could be reason for the diatoms as well.
    My tanks had diatoms too during the first weeks and I tried to increase the light to get rid of the problem. Not enough light can be a reason but there are many others. Increasing the light didn't help me to get rid of the diatoms in newly set up tanks.

A few months ago I bought a used glass tank but used new black sand - and the ornaments and filter were already used in the previous tank. The light in this new tank is very low but has plants like Java Fern and Giant Valisneria - and somehow I don't see diatoms at all. (This is my current parrot tank).

If your tank is new I would keep cleaning the glass when you do water changes (to remove as much of the diatoms you remove from the glass). You can clean ornaments easily under the tap.
    If your tank isn't a new setup we might have to find another reason why your tank has so many diatoms now.

10. OP
    OP
    joya

joyaValued MemberMember

Thanks Blueszz! It's a fairly new tank. It's not on the glass anymore, just on the decorations. Thanks for informing me that the light wouldn't rid me of my diatoms. I was thinking about just throwing them away and buying new ones. I also have black substrate. However all my fish are still alive, but im feeling so unlucky:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice