How/Why do they die?

kelsangdol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I hear about some people accidentally sucking up small fisheys like tetras when changing the water. Some were gravel cleaners and some were those power ones.
So, how/why do they die?
Are their organs damaged, shock, etc?
It always boggles me when a fish is sucked up and comes out looking undameged but dead.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've killed big fish with the siphon, but not small ones. The lastest casualty was my 4 inch GW killi - she was broken in half

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have a power vacum, outside of fry or eggs I don't see it happening. My fish stay clear of it and I pay attention when doing it. Issue I hear the most closly related to what you're asking is when poeple remove thier safty cap on thier intake tube for the filter during cleaning.

If it was a tetras though it wouldn't surpise me, I've have baby tetras show up in my undergravel tubes before.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a tendancy to....multitask as I do my waterchanges, so I'm not always watching, and I hope that my fish stay clear. But sometimes they don't. I tell myself it's survival of the fittest, and is just like the birds that fly into the windmills There's a windfarm near my house...I've SEEN birds fly into them while out working on the boat. It doesn't happen often, thank God, because we do A LOT of family business

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the General Discussion section of the forum since we aren't really discussing filters per say.

Thanks!
Ken

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The fish that come out with no external injuries probably died of an injured or severed spinal cord. Their internal organs could've been crushed, and death would be almost instantaneous especially if it is the brain or heart.

-Lisa

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I believe that the extremely low pressure in the vacuum can badly damage the fish's internal organs, likewise, like an astronaut in space without a spacesuit.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom