how violent is a female betta? Important

1. Shireen Initiate Member

The person who works at my house accepted 2 fighters, a male and a female, from someone who came to my house when i was at school. She put them in my tank, which has mainly long finned, slow-ish fish. i moved the male to a seperate container. should i do the same with the female?

2. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Welcome Shireen (lovely name) :;hi2 . I would say yes, they can be just as bad sometimes from what I've heard, and they do usually prefer to live by themselves. To avoid any trouble in future (as they can suddenly turn after previously being quite calm), and stress to you and your fish, I would suggest moving her too.

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

It all depends on your bettas personality but just because it's a female doesn't mean that it will want to be nice to the other fish. How big is the female? If it is smaller than it would be safer to try it because it would be more likely to learn to live with others.one of the reasons bettas can't live with other fish is because they have lived by themselves in a jar. I picked up a smaller female betta and she has been living in my 55 galllon for about 4 months now and everything has been good. Good luck but I would keep her in her own tank

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I have tried female bettas in a tank together and with other fish that have grown up together from birth..it just doesnt work..

overtime, they will attack one another or stress eachother out so much, they will die....or they will become so stressed with others that they could get ich and other illness from being stressed...

all fish are different, and have different personalities and traits, but for the most part, bettas do not play nice in any community playground...

5. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Hmmmm, it depends on your girl. If she is the only fighter in the tank. Watch her for aggression and picking on the other fish. I have had female fighters that were so aggressive they could give a grown male a run for his money but then again I have had girls who were placid little angels. Sus out her personality and it may help you make a decision. :)

6. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

it really does depends on your females personality. my little girl would never do well in a community tank. she's bitten my pinke finger to the point of reddening! if your girl is more docile and she doesn't show any stress coloration, she could be left in the community. otherwise, be ready with a back up tank.

7. Mystic54 Member Member

My two girls would never do okay with any other type of fish. They have tore each other apart before and I couldn't imagine letting them loose in a community tank.

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Shireen, welcome to fishlore.

I wouldn't keep her with the other fish. Your tank is 8 US gallons, and with a goldfish and a lot of mollys, is already overcrowded. I think the overcrowding is likely to cause aggression problems, especially since bettas are aggressive by their very nature.

9. Shireen Initiate Member

i gave my gouramis to my friend, its not so crowded anymore, but i put her away seperately just to be safe