How To Weigh Or Handle Your Fish?

1. skilletlicker

skilletlicker Valued Member Member

I've had Sara and Maybelle, two fantail goldfish, since the first of February, about 3½ months. I think they were about 1½ inches long when I got them; don't know how old that is. They are healthy, happy, and growing. I carefully log their food daily and would like to keep track of their weight, but I need to find a less stressful way of doing it than catching them in 2 x 3" net. The two times they have been weighed they got so mad that they wouldn't even look at me for hours. They aren't afraid of my hand, but I don't try to touch them and, except for those two weigh-ins, I haven't tried to capture them either. Today I tried to entice them into the basket of a salad spinner using a red worm as bait but, being unfamiliar with salad spinners, they were not cooperative.

How do you weigh your fish without annoying them?
    SaraAndMaybelle.png

2. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

Sorry... But I never heard of anyone weighing their pet fish... I guess there is always the first time...

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

You can teach them to swim into a measuring cup (clear and never used for anything else, measure the weight of the cup before water, fish. Use a specific amount of water like 1-2 cups (8-16 oz of water) and place the goldfish into the container, subtract the weight of water and cup and you will be left with the weight of the fish in oz. A standard kitchen veggie scale works (i have one that goes to 11lbs i use for shipping weights not fish). Make sure your hands are damp before handling fish.