How to use TSS

Jordarales

Reaction score
I only bought TSS plus and not SeaChem but how can I use that to start my cycle I have fish in there right now so do I pour the whole bottle or 5ml I have a 10 gallon tank

And where do I put it in the tank, by the filter or can I just drop it anywhere?

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jordarales said:
I only bought TSS plus and not SeaChem but how can I use that to start my cycle I have fish in there right now so do I pour the whole bottle or 5ml I have a 10 gallon tank
Pretty sure it tells you right on the back label.. it would be 5ml per 6l of water. 6 liters of water is just a hair over 1.5 gallons. If you've already got fish in there without the TSS I would highly recommend getting some Seachem Prime to keep the tank safe while it cycles. You can dose it anywhere in the tank.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I don't measure. I pour about half the bottle in the water and the filter. I save the other half for later. Getting Seachem Prime would be a safety net for you though, keeping it mind that it only detoxifies for about 24 to 48 hours. But, as sinned4g63 said, you can put the Prime anywhere in the tank.

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Honestly I don't think you can "overdose" on quick start bacteria so as long as you put at least the minimal recommended amount in you should be good. I use TLC bacteria and it says you can dose after overfeeding to boost the BB in the filter so I can't imagine double dosing an uncycled tank would be an issue.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I use Microbe-Lift now, instead of QS or TSS. I fully fish-in cycled a 75 gallon with the Microbe-Lift in about two and a half weeks. I never had any severe spikes.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, since you have fish in the tank already, here is what you need to do:

1) Do a large water change to get ammonia and/or nitrite as close to 0ppm as possible.
2) Wait 24 hours...VERY IMPORTANT. Using TSS less than 24 hours after using any water conditioner will cause the TSS to fail.
3) After 24 hours pour the entire, well shaken bottle of TSS into the tank. Don't worry about overdosing, because you can't, but you can underdose by adding less than entire bottle.
4) Do nothing other than feed your fish for the next 14 days. No water changes, no adding chemicals...nothing. I would recommend against even testing you water during those 14 day because the readings can cause you to do something that will cause the TSS to fail.
5) On day 14, test your water and if all worked correctly, congrats, you have a cycled tank.

I have used TSS several times in the past and had success every time I used it. BUT...one thing you should do before starting, test your pH. If it is too much below 7.0, the TSS will not because below 7.0 ammonia starts converting to ammonium, and by the time your pH hits 6.0, all ammonia has turned into ammonium. The good thing about ammonium is it is far less toxic than ammonia (some claI'm it is non-toxic). The bad thing about ammonium is that it is a horrible food source for the bacteria and it just will not develop. This is true weather using a bacteria additive or not.

Best of luck!

OP
J

Jordarales

Reaction score
SO I DONT DO ANY WATER CHANGES AND HOW WOULD I DO IT COULD I JUST SCOOP OUT WATER WITH A PITCHER AND one of my tetras passed away this morning could it be because of the TSS+ and SeaChem?

Jordarales said:
SO I DONT DO ANY WATER CHANGES AND HOW WOULD I DO IT COULD I JUST SCOOP OUT WATER WITH A PITCHER AND one of my tetras passed away this morning could it be because of the TSS+ and SeaChem?
I don’t do any water changes means I haven’t done any and I wasn’t planning on it for the first week I’ve had the tank for 3 days now I would say

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nope no water changes for 14 days. Also, I hope you waited at least 24 hours after using SeaChem and adding the TSS and haven't added any since

OP
J

Jordarales

Reaction score
jdhef said:
Nope no water changes for 14 days. Also, I hope you waited at least 24 hours after using SeaChem and adding the TSS and haven't added any since
I added a little yesterday and realized I didn’t wait 24 hours but I just put a little more of each this morning ‍♂‍♂ Did I mess up??

My fish tank is looking a little cloudy and one of my tetras is under a piece of wood and he’s just been swimming there all morning

I don’t know if it’s cloudy or just the wood

Look and the other tetra is chillin by the glass and wood, he’s been there for a while and I found a dead tetra under there earlier so I only have 2

Attachments

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe...keep an eye on your fish and hope for the best

New Threads