How To Use Python For Vacuuming Gravel?

CPARKTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love my Python for water changes, but I can't seem to get it to work as a gravel vac...it sucks up substrate due to its power and lack of any type of filter or restricting device. Any suggestions on how to set it up differently or a good hack??

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm, I don’t use a python myself, but I do vacuum my substrate (sand tanks and gravel tanks), so I’ll take a stab at this.
Let me see if I can understand where you’re coming from. What you’re saying is that when you press the wide end of the vacuum (the rigid plastic tube that’s open at the bottom) into the substrate, the gravel gets sucked right up and carried along the tube into your bucket or drain or whatever. Is that right?
If that’s correct, you must have a really wide hose, yesno? Or massive tap pressure pulling water into the vac. Every python or gravel vacuum I’ve ever seen, when you lift the tube off the substrate periodically, releases the substrate to cascade back down the tube and settle back on the tank floor.
Backing up, have you gone over to YouTube to watch any videos on how to do a gravel vacuum?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom