How To Use Prime

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by Wintersprite, Aug 12, 2015.

1. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

My Top FIn water condition is finally almost gone so I plan on purchasing Prime next. I have a 20 gallon high tank and do a 5 gallon (25%) water change weekly. For dosing it says to use one ml for each 40 liters (10 gallons) which is 1 thread on the cap. Since I only do 5 gallon changes I would only need to use 0.5 ml or 1/2 of one thread. Is there an easier way to measure that out so I can add it to the water before I put the new water into the tank? Or should I just add the prime directly to the tank and dose it for the full 20 gallons (2 threads on the cap). I am not sure which method is more beneficial. If adding it to the new water is better then what would be an easier way to measure out 0.5 ml?

2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You need to dose for the full 20 gallons instead of only the amount you are changing.

3. el337Fishlore LegendMember

When doing water changes, I usually dose the full volume of the tank. For my 46g, I dose the full capful. Hope that helps?

4. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

If you get a medicine dropper, it's is 2 drops of prime per gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Ok thank you guys for the help. Just to make sure I have this right I should add 80 liters (2 threads on the cap) to the tank before I add in the new water correct?

Thanks for the tip Flowingfins that sounds like it might be a little easier then using the threads on the cap. I will have to see if I can locate one or find a place to purchase one.

6. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

Your welcome:) I got mine at Walmart, you could probably ask your pharmacy for one too. I find that the easiest way to dechlorinated my smaller tanks. My larger tanks I use the cap.

7. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I agree with Flowingfins, you can find the little droppers and syringes at the pharmacy at Walmart, it's what I use for dosing my tank.

8. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Ya it sounds like the way to go. If I can not find one hanging around the house I will check out Walmart. I can not imagine them being more than a couple of bucks if that.

9. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

If you find something around the house, just make sure it hasn't come in contact with any soaps or chemicals or anything like that. :)

10. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Ya I will more then likely just go out and get a new one that way I know it is safe to use. One last question...when adding prime to treat for the full tank do I add it first to the tank and then add the new water or do I add the full amount to the new water and then dump it into the tank?

11. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I prefer to add the Prime first then add the new water in. Although I have seen it done either way. I don't really think it makes a big deal.

12. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I mix water with prime in 10g (fish tank only) trash cans before adding it myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. LittlebuddaWell Known MemberMember

I use a medical syringe to measure mine out.

14. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Since I use a water changer, I add half a cap just as the water is refilling and then add another half as they soon as the water is almost filled to the top.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice