How To Use Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintersprite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My Top FIn water condition is finally almost gone so I plan on purchasing Prime next. I have a 20 gallon high tank and do a 5 gallon (25%) water change weekly. For dosing it says to use one ml for each 40 liters (10 gallons) which is 1 thread on the cap. Since I only do 5 gallon changes I would only need to use 0.5 ml or 1/2 of one thread. Is there an easier way to measure that out so I can add it to the water before I put the new water into the tank? Or should I just add the prime directly to the tank and dose it for the full 20 gallons (2 threads on the cap). I am not sure which method is more beneficial. If adding it to the new water is better then what would be an easier way to measure out 0.5 ml?

OP
Wintersprite

Wintersprite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok thank you guys for the help. Just to make sure I have this right I should add 80 liters (2 threads on the cap) to the tank before I add in the new water correct?

Thanks for the tip Flowingfins that sounds like it might be a little easier then using the threads on the cap. I will have to see if I can locate one or find a place to purchase one.

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your welcome I got mine at Walmart, you could probably ask your pharmacy for one too. I find that the easiest way to dechlorinated my smaller tanks. My larger tanks I use the cap.

OP
Wintersprite

Wintersprite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ya it sounds like the way to go. If I can not find one hanging around the house I will check out Walmart. I can not imagine them being more than a couple of bucks if that.

OP
Wintersprite

Wintersprite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ya I will more then likely just go out and get a new one that way I know it is safe to use. One last question...when adding prime to treat for the full tank do I add it first to the tank and then add the new water or do I add the full amount to the new water and then dump it into the tank?

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I prefer to add the Prime first then add the new water in. Although I have seen it done either way. I don't really think it makes a big deal.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Since I use a water changer, I add half a cap just as the water is refilling and then add another half as they soon as the water is almost filled to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 90 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 25 18.2%

Top Bottom