How to use established tank for new tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by fishfisher, Aug 9, 2015.

1. fishfisherValued MemberMember

Mts has hit and I'm setting up a new tank in the bedroom. What's the best way to use the old tank bacteria for the new tank? I've had the new filter media sitting in the old filter for a few days now but I'm not sure how long it needs to be in there. I have everything to set the new tank up and a molly that is really needing a new home.

Should I transfer some of the decorations? Any good advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

The new tank is only 20 gal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

You should leave the new media in the established filter for a few weeks. A month or so being best in my opinion. But if your only stocking a 20 gallon with 1 molly. A couple weeks maybe fine.

As far as transferring decorations, I don't think it would do much good. It won't hurt either. But most of the bacteria is in the filter.

3. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

I'm constantly pulling tanks out of service, only to set them back up at a later time as needed. Summer means pretty much shutting down the fishroom; sales are slow, who wants to be stuck in the basement when it's so nice outside. Many folks ask the question you have, my stubby fingers got tired of typing it out a couple times weekly, so I did it one last time, here ya go;  

4. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

What is stocked in the tank that the new media is in?

5. OP
    OP
    f

fishfisherValued MemberMember

There will be a few mollies and not sure what else. I know that I won't have much room after those. I am also looking to have it at least moderately planted but that will be in time with lots more research and experience.

6. delta5

delta5Well Known MemberMember

7. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks for all the information. I'll have to go on my computer for the website because for whatever reason my phone isn't letting me pull it up.

I'll have to think about the neons. I have heard that they can be hard to keep because they are so sensitive to water conditions. Plus I'm not sure that once the mollies get big they won't see them as a snack. But the more that I think about them the more I like the idea.

8. delta5

delta5Well Known MemberMember

with neon tetras and the right size décor you can make a 10g look big.

9. OP
    OP
    f

Good idea... I like it! I have at least a couple of weeks while it cycles to think about it.

10. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

But neons would need a bigger tank..... ember tetras would work instead.

11. OP
    OP
    f

It's actually a 20 gal

12. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Well then, that's fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice