How To Upgrade Tank, Two 10g Into One 20l

blindfaith429

Valued Member
Reaction score
I currently have a pair of 10g tanks running at the moment, that I want to combine into a single 20 long.

One tank has 4 Amano shrimp and 2 Otocinclus, along with some anubius and moneywort plants. The other has a single male betta that I put in it's own tank, as he was having fin issues (which are being resolved).

Both tanks currently sport HOB filters that I modified with intake sponges, and replaced the "cartridge" with sponge / Fluval Bio-ring media. Also, both tanks have their own Tetra whisper 10 air pump with air stones.

In one tank, I have a 50 watt pre-set heater (basic Aqueon) and the other tank, I have an Aqueon Pro 50 watt heater (adjustable)

I already have the tank, and I have a Fluval 106 coming as I want to make a cleaner tank without an HOB filter.

I want to re-use the driftwood I have in both tanks, and the small gravel substrate. Obviously, all of the fish / shrimp will be added to the new tank.

I may keep the Betta out for a week or so, while the other fish get comfortable in the new tank.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated for the transition.

Also, advice on heaters would be great. Should I run them both? Or just the Pro adjustable?

EDIT: I know about switching over the media into the new filter to get it going, rather than starting from scratch with the liquid ammonia to get the BB

Bellaona

Valued Member
Reaction score
I currently have a pair of 10g tanks running at the moment, that I want to combine into a single 20 long.

One tank has 4 Amano shrimp and 2 Otocinclus, along with some anubius and moneywort plants. The other has a single male betta that I put in it's own tank, as he was having fin issues (which are being resolved).

Both tanks currently sport HOB filters that I modified with intake sponges, and replaced the "cartridge" with sponge / Fluval Bio-ring media. Also, both tanks have their own Tetra whisper 10 air pump with air stones.

In one tank, I have a 50 watt pre-set heater (basic Aqueon) and the other tank, I have an Aqueon Pro 50 watt heater (adjustable)

I already have the tank, and I have a Fluval 106 coming as I want to make a cleaner tank without an HOB filter.

I want to re-use the driftwood I have in both tanks, and the small gravel substrate. Obviously, all of the fish / shrimp will be added to the new tank.

I may keep the Betta out for a week or so, while the other fish get comfortable in the new tank.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated for the transition.

Also, advice on heaters would be great. Should I run them both? Or just the Pro adjustable?

EDIT: I know about switching over the media into the new filter to get it going, rather than starting from scratch with the liquid ammonia to get the BB
I prefer two small heaters to one big one that way if one goes out it wont drop temp too much and if one over heats itll just heat the others and the other one wont turn on.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom