How To Trim Water Sprite Without Turning That Stem Brown?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Sirens, Aug 6, 2017.

1. SirensNew MemberMember

I have water sprite in one of my tanks but it keeps growing past the surface of the water and keeps overshadowing other plants in the tank.

Every time I try to trim it, within a couple days the entire stem that I trimmed turns totally brown all the way down to the substrate. It's unsightly and I'm trying to figure out how to trim it without killing the rest of the stem!

2. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Are you cutting it and replanting, or just cutting the top off it? Try cutting the top half off, chopping the rest off at substrate level and replanting the top.

3. aniroc

anirocWell Known MemberMember

I keep my water sprite floating. Roots are bushy and collect residue. It grows very fast and need to trim it often. What I do is look for roots along the frond; that's where baby plantlets are sprouting. I save few and discard the mother plant.

4. aniroc

anirocWell Known MemberMember

...and remember, water sprite is a fern, it's not a stem plant. When you cut a "stem", you are cutting a frond (a leaf of a fern)

5. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Ahh, you're right, I was thinking of water wisteria, not Indian Fern! Totally different plants. Ignore what I said about cutting it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice