How to trim valliseria?

1. 1

10gallonmadness Valued Member Member

Yea... Uh how do you trim valliseria without killing it? I have a stand that can fully wrap around the outside of my tank!

2. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

Im not sure what the stand has to do with anything but just chop off some leaves at the very bottom to thin it out... if you just cut them halfway they will brown and then die back slowly and it will look bad...

3. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

Just go as close to the bottom of the plant without harming it. Cut the leaves one by one. Be careful to cut it through without harming an adjacent leaf. I use a somewhat thin and elongated pair of scissors for plants like this one.

I don't understand what you mean by "I have a stand that can fully wrap around the outside of my tank!".

I have a giant vallisneria in a 16" tall tank (really 12" of water height since it has 4" depth substrate). Its 30+ inches leaves display beautifully through the surface of it. This is a slow flow Community Tank.

I've had problems with too much runners coming out of the smaller vallisneria species, like the corckscrew or a dwarf variety of straight leaves. The only solution was to remove them and plant them elsewhere (I tossed some away that ended up quite harmed).

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Good advice above. I think the OP means they have a stand of Vallis. Kind of like a stand of trees.

5. a

anunez91 Valued Member Member

if its the jungle val, just cut it to the desiered length. When i cut mine to half the tank height, its usually back to its original length in two weeks. No Browning of the edges or nothing. I once had a leaf that hit the floor from the tank *it had been growing since i got it, i left it alone just to see how long it would get* amazing plant

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I had the same question a few years ago and I did a little research on the topic.... found some sources that said if you make a straight, clean cut with a pair of sharp scissors, the leaf won't die back. That's what I've been doing for a few years now and it's worked really well for me.

7. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

o_O

really? lol thank you. Even though this isn't my thread : )

8. OP
    OP

I meant strand when I said "I have a stand that can fully wrap around the outside of my tank!". That's how long it got. Anyway, I have the pointy grass-like Valli. I really don't know that much about plants so I'm not in with all the technical names and stuff. So I'm hearing mixed results. Someone said cut straight across and someone else said cut as far down as possible with harming it.

9. a

anunez91 Valued Member Member

most likely vallisneria gigantea, the jungle val, either way you cut it, it will grow back, with a vengeance, haha correct me if im wrong with the scientific name, im trying to familiarize myself more and more with the scientific names of everything in the hobby

*edit*

does it look like this?

http://www.moje-akvarium.net/pic/rostliny/vallisneria/vallisneria-gigantea-02.jpg

*edit**edit*
    below is a pic of my jungle val bunched to one side of my tank, i usually just stick some scissors in the tank and go straight across the lawn, hahaha, ends up looking a little something like this, the longer ones are new runners i missed that were short, sorry for the quality, its amazing how convenient it is when you can just grab your phone and SNAP, haha

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP

Yea it looks pretty much like that. So I'm just gonna cut it straight across thanks!