How to treat your water during a change Question

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by pinksprklmonkey, Mar 26, 2010.

1. p

pinksprklmonkey Valued Member Member

Hi all,

I was wondering when you do your water changes if you put in your conditioner (to dechlorinate it) right in the tank with the fish (with the untreated new water)? Or do you put the new water in a separate bucket, treat it and then put it in the tank with the fish?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

When I used bucket I treated the water in the bucket. Now I use a hose to refill the tanks and dump the dechlor into the stream of water as it goes into the tank.
    Carol

3. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

I use a Python, so I just pour the dechlor in as the water goes in.

4. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

+1

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I use a 29g aquarium to pre-filter, heat and treat my water before it goes into my tanks. I pump it from tank to tank via a mag drive 750 pump.

Ken

6. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

I have small tanks so I use 1 gallon jugs that I use for water changes. I treat the water while it's in the jugs, generally adding the Prime first or when the jug is half full to ensure it mixes completely.

7. OP
    OP
    p

Thanks everyone. Does everyone heat the water before you put it in the tank? I saw Ken's answer on this, but does everyone do this?

Is it possible to just add slightly warm water from the tap (after its been treated with prime) to the tank?

8. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

I just match my water temps as I run it from the tap. I keep my tanks at 80 degrees so I adjust my tap to the proper temp so that the water is 80 degrees as well. I use a digital thermometer to make sure the water streaming from the tap is within 1 degree then I fill my jugs.

9. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

stress coat the tap water, wait til the next day to water change. 1 or 2 degrees off is ok for the fish i have.

10. A

AspiringAquarist Valued Member Member

I do water changes using a Python. Is it okay to add all the new tap water to the tank until it reaches my desired level and THEN add the dechlorinater?

11. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

Considering that it isn't any harder to add the conditioner before filling the tank than it is to add it afterwards, I'd say just add the conditioner first. It'll help to remove the chlorines and heavy metals more quickly to keep your fish from stressing out.

12. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I personally prefer to add the conditioner(prime) just as I'm putting the first of the water in. I set the temperature at the tap to match my tank then refil with a hose attached to the sink.
    Carol

13. OP
    OP
    p

Thanks for all the great answers!! :)

14. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Pinks,

I have pH issues from my tap, so high it's off the charts. I use a separate aquarium to heat and treat and filter my water (as I stated above), and to let it age before it goes into my tanks. It gives me a more accurate pH reading.

I have well water and sometimes silt becomes an issue too so it's filtered out before it goes into my tanks.

I have it heated so I don't have to worry about temperature fluctuations causing ICH and other disease. (I don't trust my ability to touch and feel the temperature difference)

I treat the water in this tank so it saves me from having to dose for 265g at each water change. :)

To answer your question, no, not everyone does this as they don't have all of the same issues that I have. It works for me though :) and I love doing it.

Once you get more familiar with the hobby, you'll learn and know what exactly works for you too. :)

Ken

15. F

Flufeeh Valued Member Member

Wow, that seems like a lot of work.

I just treat my water when it's in the bucket, then I pour it in.

16. d

dee34 Valued Member Member

fair play to u thats a lot of effort put in to manage your water

17. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    As Aquarist mentioned, not everyone has the same water issues that he has.

Luckily, I am like you and can just treat the water in the bucket before adding it to the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice