10 Gallon Tank How to treat wood before planting?

DTurner

Hello All,

I have been running my filter with my hardscape for a few weeks. I am planning on planting in a few days. My driftwood has that mucus looking stuff in it.

I know some plants will melt if it comes in contact. i have had to just let it be and it will clear up in a few weeks but my LFS has the order in shortly. So i dont want to keep them waiting.

I've also read to pull the wood and rinse it with hot tap water. the plants going in on that area are Monte Carlo, Anubius nana and java moss.

Thanks for your tips or advice in advance.

bcsay720

The stuff is biofilm and should come off in a few weeks, but it does look gross until it does. What plants are you looking to attach to the driftwood?

DTurner

The stuff is biofilm and should come off in a few weeks, but it does look gross until it does. What plants are you looking to attach to the driftwood?
I'll be attaching moss and anubius to the wood. I've heard of the biofilm melting those plants do i didnt know if i should wait to attach and just float those plants till its clear. i could also just attach them to the rockwork.

Attachments

• PXL_20210915_222833782.jpg
    PXL_20210915_222833782.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210909_215739467.jpg
    PXL_20210909_215739467.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 11

bcsay720

It's definitely hard to say. My anubias nana got biofilm on its own after I got it and did perfectly fine until the film went away. I have a different kind of anubias attached to my wood currently, but I don't think I attached them until the film went away. Anubias are extremely hardy, though, and I've never had any of mine melt, so they may be okay. Not sure about the moss, though.

carsonsgjs

I'll be attaching moss and anubius to the wood. I've heard of the biofilm melting those plants do i didnt know if i should wait to attach and just float those plants till its clear. i could also just attach them to the rockwork.
I’ve never known plants to melt if they get the famous driftwood slime on them, but that’s just me.

You could just wipe the wood clean and put it back in the tank ready for your plants to be attached. Based on my experience, the wood slimes up initially then doesn’t really come back again once it has been wiped off. Last time it happened to me I removed it all with a siphon.

DTurner

i appreciate both your input. I'm planning a water change today to install new inlet and outlet pipes so I'll syphon it off and not worry to much about it.

DTurner

spent a few hours installing the co2, new piping and cleaning wood. i think i like how it came out. got a call from the LFS and I'll be picking up the plants tomorrow. can't wait till I'm out of work to pick them up and do the install.

Attachments

• PXL_20210916_232611521~2.jpg
    PXL_20210916_232611521~2.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 10

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
!poogs!
Replies
Views
aussieJJDude