30 Gallon Tank How to treat velvet with catfish?

bonefish

so first off i’m very new to fishkeeping, i’ve only had this tank for a year or so and that’s as far as my experience goes. its a 30 gallon community tank with 7 cories, 5 harlequin rasboras, and a betta. i noticed today that it looked like the scales on my betta had been rubbed off on the top. i was googling it and read something about velvet and it said to shine a flashlight to see it… so i did that and my black and white betta is covered in like a shimmery pinkish/orangeish coating? that has to be velvet right? or is there anything else that could be? it doesn’t seem to be effecting any of the other fish yet but i’m still very worried. i was trying to read up on how to treat it, but i read that medicine for it is not very safe for cories, and same for salt treatments. i’ve turned the light off already since that was recommended as well. what else should i do??

jdhef

I do not have any experience with velvet, so I'm no help, but hopefully someone will be around soon with some advice.

Upvote 0

bonefish

so first off i’m very new to fishkeeping, i’ve only had this tank for a year or so and that’s as far as my experience goes. its a 30 gallon community tank with 7 cories, 5 harlequin rasboras, and a betta. i noticed today that it looked like the scales on my betta had been rubbed off on the top. i was googling it and read something about velvet and it said to shine a flashlight to see it… so i did that and my black and white betta is covered in like a shimmery pinkish/orangeish coating? that has to be velvet right? or is there anything else that could be? it doesn’t seem to be effecting any of the other fish yet but i’m still very worried. i was trying to read up on how to treat it, but i read that medicine for it is not very safe for cories, and same for salt treatments. i’ve turned the light off already since that was recommended as well. what else should i do??
so an update to this… one of my cories died and my betta is looking a lot worse. losing scales all over his head now. still would like any advice. would love to prevent any more deaths

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
VanillaSpoon_
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies