How to treat this betta - Progress update

sleeplessrat

so my grandma had this blue betta in a vase- since i have mark at home it made me sad to see how bad it was being treated- so today i brought over a spare container some stress coat and almond leaves and a heater- i am able to take him home but i need a tank- BUT i will get a tank- but how do i go about treating whatever is going on with his fins? does anyone know what exactly is going on with him? hes also not eating- they just fed him pellets :-/
Snapchat-836487212.jpg
20210621_191653.jpg

awilkinson871

The best thing for him is to put him in a tank with pristine water and continue to do water changes. Water changes are sometimes the best cure. Stress can cause him not to eat. Try some bloodworms in a day or two to see if that changes.

Upvote 0

Analisemcg

so my grandma had this blue betta in a vase- since i have mark at home it made me sad to see how bad it was being treated- so today i brought over a spare container some stress coat and almond leaves and a heater- i am able to take him home but i need a tank- BUT i will get a tank- but how do i go about treating whatever is going on with his fins? does anyone know what exactly is going on with him? hes also not eating- they just fed him pellets :-/
Snapchat-836487212.jpg
20210621_191653.jpg

Hi, I may be wrong but I think he has fin rot. Here is a link to a site that has more info-

How To Treat Fin Rot In Bettas (Full Guide) - Betta Care Fish Guide

It can be treated fairly easily, one of mine had it a while ago and it cleared up pretty fast with some meds and water changes.

Upvote 0

sleeplessrat

yea i figured as so-
i have blood worms and brine shrimp at home- i cant currently do anything quite yet but i have extra stuff at home- thankyou though:-D

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I usually recommend curing fin rot with fresh clean water. I try not to medicate unless it is really bad. You can always try with the water changes and if it doesn't get better then go with the meds.
Edit- the IAL are also a good addition.

Upvote 0

peachsonas

Fin rot. Water changes at first and if it persists or get worse, aquarium salt baths next.

Upvote 0

sleeplessrat

l gotchu i gotchu will indian almond leaves help for the time being?
ight ight luckly i have epsom salt laying around ‼️

Upvote 0

peachsonas

l gotchu i gotchu will indian almond leaves help for the time being?
ight ight luckly i have epsom salt laying around ‼
Yup! The tannins the leaf has will aid in the healing process. Keep in mind epsom salt isn’t the same as aquarium salt. They do different things - epsom helps more with constipation and swelling since it has a laxative effect. Aquarium salt is used to heal fin rot and other infections.

Upvote 0

sleeplessrat

ohhhh ight i gotchu thankyou :-D

Snapchat-836487212.jpg
20210621_191653.jpg
UPDATE: i decided to name him jimmithy- short for jim or Jimmy- so while monitoring his swimming i noticed he isnt swimming like how fish are supposed to swim- like hes swiming like this: / \/ \ and not smoothly- if you get what i mean- he also seems to have troubles staying swimming- like he just sits there- either on the heater or the almond leave- and its not like oh hes just resting his fins- it seems like his fin rot is causing him to have trouble moving- whether that be from discomfort etc. but its like its wearing him out- i won't be able to move him into my home just yet because im still at my grandmas till tomorrow but is it safe to assume hes moving like this because of his fin rot?

Upvote 0

sleeplessrat

so its currently 5 in the morning and i havent slept because im trying to figure out exactly how im going to tackle jimmys fin rot and maybe even ammonia poisoning because he was kept in a vase for about a year- [please note i did not put him in a vase it was my grandma- shes letting me keep him so ye] and so while im looking at him to see if hes doing okay- which hes more active- hes not laying on the bottom of the tank- hes still having troubles swimming but i won't be able to give him his full treatment till i get home- but while looking at him i notice this lump on his side- i didnt think too much of it but i did take a look from above to see if theres any curve in his spine- and i cant really tell? i mean the year he has been in that vase all he did was lay in his side- either that or float- so maybe that's the cause? or maybe im just thinking too hard-
20210622_054314.jpg
20210622_053423.jpg

Upvote 0

sleeplessrat

Jimmys background: Jimmy was my grandmas fish. she got him about a year ago when they moved houses- they originally thought jimmy was a girl and even named him dori. anyways, they put him in a vase and that was his home till Tuesday because she offered for me to take him :-]

anyways i wanna keep this as short as possible because im ranting on about a fish- but jimmy had the following issues that i could spot:

swim bladder
fin rot
ammonia burns

ive been treating him based on those things alone by giving him epsom salt baths everyday- gradually moving it up to 8 mins- indian almond leaves- and stress coat.

i will be getting aquarium salt just to target his fin rot alone so i can really tackle it if im not able to see improvements in his fins-

but anyways- hes been in this container with an air stone and a heater [dailey water changes because no filter] and thats basically his hospital tank till he gets better- he'll be upgrading to a 5 gallon tank so dont worry :-]

the first three photos were of him on the first day of treatment and the last two was taken today :-D [treatment started Tuesday]

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210626-011249_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210626-011249_Gallery.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210626-011255_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210626-011255_Gallery.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210626-011304_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210626-011304_Gallery.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210626_005610.jpg
    20210626_005610.jpg