How to treat tap water with 0.25 ammoniac?

1. S

Stealyouaway269 Valued Member Member

Why we need to treat tap water before pour it to the tank? Can we pour tap water to the tank first,then use Prime later? My tap water has 0.25 ammoniac , I don't know why prime doesn't work when I put in tap water and leave them sit for a night,but when I use amquel,it work well,I dont see sign off ammoniac later.

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Tap water contains Chlorine/chloramine which will kill any beneficial bacteria in your filter.

Prime only makes the ammonia harmless to fish, you will still be able to see it when you do a test, which can actually be useful because you'll know how much is there for your bacteria to eat.

3. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

I may be wrong but I think the main reason for using things like prime is to detoxify chlorine and chlorine can kill off your good bacteria so its best to add prime before you add water to the tank. No need to wait after adding prime, the new water should be good to go as soon as you add the water conditioner.

With your tap water having ammonia in it then prime would also be used to detoxify or lock up the ammonia so a great choice for your conditioner. I have no experience with prime or ammonia in tap water so hopefully someone with knowledge will come along soon.

Edit: Ah I see someone with knowledge has come along!

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore! I hope you enjoy it here.

5. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Prime will give a false positive for 24 hours after use so it needs to sit for longer then that before retest.

6. OP
    OP
    S

Stealyouaway269 Valued Member Member

Thanks so much

7. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

This doesn't sound quite right to me. It is my understanding that the liquid & strip API ammonia tests both return results that show the total ammonia level - both unbound (harmful) and bound (in harmful or less harmful). If the bacteria in your tank can cycle the ammonia to nitrites and nitrates in 24 hours then you will see ammonia a read 0 after that time, but this reduction in ammonia reading would be due to the conversion of ammonia Not due to Prime. CindiL can you explain it more clearly or correct any errors I may have inadvertently made?

8. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I use water conditioner as well as tetra safe start with my water changes because my tap water comes out with .25 ammonia as well. The tetra safe start plus helps with the ammonia. The bottle says how much to use in your water change depending on tank size